Question about ducks and millet

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cherib603, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    I keep seeing millet on foods approved for ducks. How is it fed? Loose, like parakeet seed? On the stem? Won't millet just pass through undigested? Any benefits to it? I ask because I have parakeets and buy bulk spray millet.

2. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    In the winter my girls loved to clean up all the spillage from the squirrels at one particular feeder. The squirrels would break into it to eat the sunflower seeds and through out everything else.

Right now I'm growing in millet in the forage area near their pen. I have to chase them out of the area daily because they want to eat the seed.

I'm also experimenting with sprouting millet and beets for them. They graze the sprouts every chance I give them.

3. Cherib603

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Can I lay the millet spray out there for them to forage in?

4. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    You might want to put out multiple sprays. My ducks would pick up something like that and chase each other and try to steal it away from each other.

I've never fed it in spray form. But I don't see why it wouldn't work especially if you're right there to monitor them.

5. Cherib603

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    I just tossed a couple of sprays into the pen and scared the bejeebus out of them! Lol!
    "Death from the skies!!! Run!!!"

So we'll see if they ever go near it.

6. Grace11

Grace11 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    They will probably mouth the sprays and get the seeds out, and spit out the empty sticks. Mine find the occasional wheat or oats heads in the straw, its really funny to see them mouth the seed heads till they have every seed out of it. I was really alarmed cause I thought they were gonna choke on the straw, but they knew what they were doing, I watched them long enough to figure out what they were doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by