Question about egg storage and rotation (will they hatch)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Glenmar, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Ok. I got some eggs from a friend. I let them rest at room temp for 10 hours before loading them in the incubator.
    Upon unpacking them, I noticed that some were stored pointy side up. I asked you guys what to do and most people
    said load them in the incubator and wait a while before autoturning. I loaded them and waited 24 hours before turning on the
    autoturner. I called my friend to question how she treated the eggs, she said that daily she turned them end over end. That is
    how some of them ended up pointy side up. So the question is are the air cells really screwed up, or will these hatch. This is my first time.

Please help.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Dewtheduck

Dewtheduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Hey I found a duck egg and i have a home-made incubator not as fancy as that but i rotate my egg every 2 hours but not at night

~Hope that Helps!![​IMG]

3. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Thanks.
    Anyone else???

4. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    Glenmar, I am a new hatcher as well. My career high is 4 hatches-so I'm no expert. But I'm sure that the hens handle the eggs more roughly than that and I know that shipped eggs must be used as soccer balls. Some shipped eggs still hatch despite the rough treatment. If you reversed them pointy side down and let them sit than you could be ok. You did your best now enjoy the anticipation.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

End over end is the wrong way to do it but they should still be fine.

6. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    That is what I was thinking. I just wanted some reassurance since this is my first time.
    thanks all.

7. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I'm thinking they should be fine, also.

Wishing you the best of luck [​IMG]

ScissorChick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by