Question about egglaying??

Gsolo

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Morning to All, I have a question about egglaying. I have 6 Buff Orphs that are about 1 yr old now and have been laying regularly since last fall and right thru the winter. I installed a light to provide about 14 hrs of light a day thru out the winter and have been getting 4-6 eggs a day. Since around daylight savings I removed the light thinking days were getting longer and egg production immediately dropped off to 1 sometimes zero eggs a day. I reinstalled the light about 10 days ago but eggs are still 0 maybe 2 a day at best. All birds are lively and healthy, eating and drinking habits seem normal, 2 birds have their feathers plucked a little bit around their vent area but otherwise appear healthy. Does anyone have any ideas of something that I can be missing or does this just happen every now and then. They sure did pick a fine time to go on strike right before Easter, egg demand is at an all time high.. Thanks , all input will be appreciated....

The plucking around the vent is a hint they are somehow stressed. If they get a lot of treats or scraps, for example, this could be cutting down their protein intake, which can cause them to eat feathers because they are high in protein. If they have less space or fewer distractions than they used to, this could be a problem -- for example, if they are being let out to roam a back yard less frequently. Maybe there is a new stressor in their area, noisy construction next door, a new dog visible to them, etc. Of course they could be hiding or eating eggs, or a predator could be sneaking in and stealing eggs (I have that problem with snakes occasionally.) Disease is a possibility, though I think unlikely. Just what comes to mind offhand.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

Thanks for your reply, when you say get stressed and pluck feathers from around the vent , are they plucking their own feathers or are other birds plucking their feathers.? Enviromental factors haven"t changed, nothing different with treats just stale crumbled bread, maybe just getting a little fresher grass while they free range in the evenings?? Hopefully things will straighten out , i miss the fresh eggs .Thanks Again

Back
Top Bottom