Question about electric fence box

New chiken momma

Chirping
Jul 22, 2020
I have an electric fence box that I used when I had a potbelly pig and a mini-goat (they were both smart enough to figure out how to ground it). I was wondering if it would be strong enough to keep out raccoons opossum ect. if I put around the out of my chicken coops? My neighbor has live traps and I am investing in some on payday. I am trying everything to keep my birds safe. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and try to help.

I have an electric fence box that I used when I had a potbelly pig and a mini-goat (they were both smart enough to figure out how to ground it). I was wondering if it would be strong enough to keep out raccoons opossum ect. if I put around the out of my chicken coops? My neighbor has live traps and I am investing in some on payday. I am trying everything to keep my birds safe. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and try to help.
Do you have a voltage meter/fence tester? If so, what is it reading?
I run mine at 7,000-7,500 volts and have no problems.

Have you lost any birds to date? If so, how many? To what? And how?

What fence charger do you have? Name and brand, and perhaps a photo of it?

What traps are you buying and what do you plan to do with whatever it is you catch?

Unless you have lost birds and have a known predator problem, what you may want to do instead of traps is to purchase an inexpensive trail camera and set that up to monitor after dark predator activity around your coop.

That will let you know what is going on at night and allow you to make plans to deal with it.....either by shoring up your coop, or buying the equipment you need to deal with elimination.

Have you lost any birds to date? If so, how many? To what? And how?

What fence charger do you have? Name and brand, and perhaps a photo of it?

What traps are you buying and what do you plan to do with whatever it is you catch?
I have not lost any birds yet! But the cameras on my house show my coops/pens and I have seen raccoons in my front yard and around my coops. Not sure what I would do with whatever I would catch I would call the wildlife agency in my county to see if I could relocate or if they could take it. I just want to do everything I can to keep my birds as safe as I can.

If your coop and run are predator proof, that's 90% of your predator protection plan. Then, no food outside of the coop and run for night time feeding, only have the birds fed inside their space.
If you have outside pets, make sure they eat meals, don't leave cat food out there, for example.
Electric fencing is added protection, for sure, and will keep daytime ground predators away from your birds.
Then those critters wandering around out there at night aren't really a risk.
If you do trap, relocation is a bad, often illegal, way to handle raccoons, opossums, and foxes, at least. Plan to shoot any you trap, or don't trap them!
Mary

I love my electric wires. Here most of the predators roam at night. I seldom get a pictures on any of my cameras of predators during the day but do get pictures of them roaming at night.

Thank you. They only eat in their space and I clean up anything that is left spilled anything so that we don't knowingly invite anything unwanted. All of the animal/pet food is kept in airtight containers and cleaned up as soon as everyone is through eating at night. I think we will put the fence up but stay away from traps. I don't want to do anything that could be illegal.

Back
Top Bottom