1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about grit

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Splandry, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Splandry

Splandry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Youngsville Louisiana
    If I feed my pigeons pellets do they still need to have grit?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Most foods in a pellet/crumble form are designed to be water soluble which is digestible without the use of grinding and grit in the gizzard, so if that is the ONLY feed they are getting, no. However, if you feed any treats, seed, etc then that would require grit for digestion.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  3. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    I feed pellets to my birds that's all they get but I do keep grit out for them its nature for the birds and found them picking at the loft floor so just made it aviable they eat it just not as much I use the red grit for pigeons

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I would just to be on the safe side. Laying and grower pellets due have some calcium added and are water soluable as Old Grey Mare already stated. If they free fly they would not be as in great a need.

5. Splandry

Splandry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Youngsville Louisiana
    Thanks for the replies, these birds will be utility birds so they want have the opportunity to get it on there own. I'll just get some and give to them sure can't hurt.

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I have utility kings, and I let them free fly most afternoons when I am at home. They peck about on the ground to get grit.. and also eat weeds and seeds from the area around the house. This is also the time they have a bath in a washing up bowl.

They are able to fly well and fly up to the house roof if they get scared by something.. but my dogs are out there to keep cats away and we don't have any hawks here.

Its very relaxing watching them doing their stuff .. and mixing up with my bantams. I hate to keep them locked up all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by