Question about growth.

Darius123

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hi! I have a short question that i was curious about after a Brahma farmer told me that if the cockerel goes and does the did with the ladies too fast like 5-6 months it slows they growth and decreases the final fully potential size of the bird, compared to cockerel that started the did a bit later in his life.
Is this a thing , or just nonsense ?

Hi! I have a short question that i was curious about after a Brahma farmer told me that if the cockerel goes and does the did with the ladies too fast like 5-6 months it slows they growth and decreases the final fully potential size of the bird, compared to cockerel that started the did a bit later in his life.
Is this a thing , or just nonsense ?
Probably nonsense, but I can see how it might look sort-of true.

I'm pretty sure that mating does not slow down the growth of a cockerel. So if you kept him in a pen with females, or kept him in a pen with no females, he should grow the same amount.

But some cockerels do mature earlier than others. They usually start mating sooner, and stop growing sooner-- not because of the mating, but just because they grow up sooner. So maybe the farmer was noticing birds that matured slower (kept growing longer, and also started mating later.)

Back
Top Bottom