Question about indoor quail

Cbelt1218

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2021
So I am researching getting quail. And was thinking about keeping them indoors. I was thinking about keeping them in my classroom since I homeschool. But was not sure if that would be smart since my kids would be in and out. Would that disturb them too much where they won’t lay any eggs?

If you're worried your kids might spook them, they might IF they're loud. I used to keep quail in my basement rec room where I'd often listen to music and stuff and come and go all day. The quail never really seemed disturbed by this and layed very nicely.

I think a quail enclosure in a classroom is great! Lots of neat things to teach the kids.

Cheers!

If you're worried your kids might spook them, they might IF they're loud. I used to keep quail in my basement rec room where I'd often listen to music and stuff and come and go all day. The quail never really seemed disturbed by this and layed very nicely.

I think a quail enclosure in a classroom is great! Lots of neat things to teach the kids.

Cheers!

My kids can be loud working on getting them to not be so crazy inside.

I have courtnix in my detached garage. I'm in and out of there all the time. Run 4 wheeler in & out, wheelbarrowing wood in, working on stuff..... they don't seem to mind. They are used to me though.

Cots are fair indoor pets and I kept my first brood indoors well into their adulthood (till 7 weeks.) Be aware they produce a lot of dust and poop, so the suggestions that you keep a small group of hens is best—males need a lot of hens to be happy. If your kids are around them a lot from hatch, they’ll be fairly used to people, but will likely prefer a quiet room and not being picked up a lot since they are prey animals. If you handfeed them live insects from a fairly early age, they’ll be a lot more friendly and eager to see you and your family.

I incubate and brood chicks in the classroom area of the house since I home school. I also have a pen of indoor quail in the living room. These are the two loudest, highest traffic areas of the house, and they all do fine. My living room quail lay eggs, the chicks grow and mature fine, they sing and dance when my husband plays music, it’s all good.

:welcome

A small group of females may be best. If you want them to be extra friendly, perhaps hand raise them from chicks. I have a group of three quails (two females and a male) who I raised from chicks. They're really friendly and love to be let out to eat grass and insects. Just be aware that quail do smell, so their enclosure will need to be cleaned often.

Back
Top Bottom