Question about introducing pullets to flock

spiritpots

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2018
Afton, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I've been reading a lot here on BYC about how/when to introduce pullets to an existing flock. I have three approximately 13 week old pullets (salmon faverolle, americana and light brahma) and three in my existing flock (brown leghorn, maran and blue opringtion) that are about 1-1/2 years old. I built a temporary pen/run for the pullets and placed it right next to the existing run and coop, which they have been in for about 10 days. I leave the pullets in the run all day but take them back into their large box (with a roost) in the garage at night. Both the young ones and the adults sit right next to each other with hardware cloth separating them and there hasn't been any trouble. I live in a heavily wood area so only let the big chickens out to free range when I am there. The young ones are not yet trained to come to me so although they love to be out it is a bit challenging to round them up (think butterfly net!). As I understand it my next steps will be to let them free range together, then time together in the main run, then put them into the coop at dark.

From what I have read the ideal time to introduce the pullets to the adults in the same space is when the pullets are around 14-16 weeks and when they are about the same size as the existing chickens. The light brahma (she is huge) is already the size of the brown leghorn but the other two pullets are only half that size and at this point I don't see them being the same size for several months yet. I want to make the face to face transition go as smoothly as possible, especially for the two smaller pullets. If anyone can give me more clarification about if it's ok to do the next step in integrating the young ones to the adults of if I should wait a bit longer I would greatly appreciate it!
IMG_8174.JPG
IMG_8170.JPG

From what I have read the ideal time to introduce the pullets to the adults in the same space is when the pullets are around 14-16 weeks and when they are about the same size as the existing chickens.
That thinking has changed..any folks are now finding that integrating when chicks are 4-6 weeks old works very well with the proper setup.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

But that's not your situation now.
Free ranging can work very well as part of integration, but your chicks are not 'homed' to that enclosure thus having to round them up(which can get old fast).
You might close the chicks in the main run and coop when the olders are out ranging, just to let them get the lay of the land, then they'd be easier to catch when it's time to 'go to bed'. Ideally the chicks would be sleeping separated but inside main coop or run, will their box fit into the main run?
Eventually you'll just have to let them all out together.

Maybe these will help spark some ideas...

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Thank you for your suggestions. Their box will not fit through the door of the main run but I do have a collapsable dog crate that I can use for a temporary nighttime coop within the main run. The run is very secure but I can partially cover the sides and top of the crate so the young ones feel more secure at night and then let them out into the main run when the big girls are out free ranging. Not having to take them into the garage every night for the next few weeks until they are bigger will be will be a welcome, too.

Thank you for your suggestions. Their box will not fit through the door of the main run but I do have a collapsable dog crate that I can use for a temporary nighttime coop within the main run. The run is very secure but I can partially cover the sides and top of the crate so the young ones feel more secure at night and then let them out into the main run when the big girls are out free ranging. Not having to take them into the garage every night for the next few weeks until they are bigger will be will be a welcome, too.
Sounds like an excellent adaptation....and a great 'next step'.
Let us know how it works out.

I have one more question that I hope someone can help me with. My chicks are now about 14 weeks and are a bit bigger so I'm getting ready to move them into the wire dog crate for a temporary coop within the main (very secure) run at night instead taking them back into their box in the garage each evening. I plan to cover the sides and top of the crate so they feel more secure at night but am wondering how much ventilation is needed. The crate is 30"L x 20"W x 24"H, which is a bit small for a coop but since it's hopefully only for a week or so I think it should be ok for them for overnight (the chicks will be moved back into their temporary run before I let the big girls out of the coop in the morning). I was thinking that having 4" or so uncovered around the top perimeter of the crate on all sides would be enough ventilation. Will that be enough? I could also leave a bit open on the top as well. I will also add a small roosting bar for them. Any other ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom