Question about Large Black Ants in the Coop

k0xxx

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
North Central Arkansas
I searched for a similar posting, but did not find any specific to the large black ants, so....

Today we seem to have an invasion of large black ants in the coop. I see these around our oak trees all the time, but this is the first time in the coop. The hens love them, but should I be worried about them getting to my week old chicks? I'm going to try some DE, but I won't be able to get to the farm and ranch store until tomorrow.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Thanks. I was fairly sure that they wouldn't be a problem, since I've never had one of this type bite. I'm just a little over protective and wanted to be sure. Thanks again!

You better find out what ant it is. I'm not worried about the birds, but the structure. The large black ones we have up here in Oregon are carpenter ant. They eat wood, and they are just as bad as having termites.
Katharina

If they are Carpenter ants, and they are IN your oak trees, check that the trees are still sound. Don't need a large limb crushing the coop (or your car).

I have large black ants in my house, mudroom, and outside. I brought my Rhode Island Red inside our mudroom and she would not eat the ants, but just kept stepping over them. I was so dismayed. I've never heard of a chicken not eating bugs....or ants! Maybe they taste bad? I was hoping the chickens would devour them.

Back
Top Bottom