Question about leaving 6 week old chicks outside *EDIT*

I have mine out at 5 weeks. If I think it's going to get too cold I just put the heat lamp out there with them. They have a little nest box they all curl up in and they do just fine.

Quote:
I agree. In a secure draft free coop they should be fine; especially if you've been acclimating them to temp. changes already.
I can't imagine having chicks in the house until they are 12 weeks old or older. Mine were never in the house to start with!

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a coop outdoors for them..it's a fairly big chicken house and a chicken yard that's pretty big for them as well. The house is filled with straw for them to keep warm.

It would only be until ten tonight and then i'll bring them in.

they should be fine if it makes you feel better put a light up against the side of the cage they'll snuggle up to it if they get cool and they should be just fine I have some at that age staying out alnight .I just tarps the locked cages and put a light under the tarp with them and they are fine ,mine are about 9 week and it get in the 50's but babies are fine ,good luck

Even if they were six weeks they would be fine to stay out. Mine are in the shed from day one, with a heat lamp for the first three weeks, and then they are on thier own. Never lost one yet

My chicks spent last night outside in their house for the first time. They are 5-6 weeks old, the temperature was down to 37, and they had their heat lamp in front of their box. They were fine and seemed adjusted to the cold when I let them out of their house and into the coop this morning.

Back
Top Bottom