Question about mallard ducklings.

Darius123

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hi! So i want to hatch a new batch of chicks and i wanted to add 4 mallard eggs.
I dont have that big of a space for them to free range on, so i was very curious due to the lack of space if they will fly away after they mature?
Will they come back if they do?

They may or may not fly away. A lot depends upon how many generations they are removed from the wild. If they do leave, they may very well return.

You will want to look into the laws in your area about mallards. Some require the ducks to be marked, since they do not want the domestic mallard population breeding with the wild one. As the domestic population does not have the migration instinct, which would be detrimental to the wild population. It is also illegal to have wild mallards. Their are rehabbers and such for wild mallards, but it requires them to raised in a certain way for release back into the wild.

You will want to look into the laws in your area about mallards. Some require the ducks to be marked, since they do not want the domestic mallard population breeding with the wild one. As the domestic population does not have the migration instinct, which would be detrimental to the wild population. It is also illegal to have wild mallards. Their are rehabbers and such for wild mallards, but it requires them to raised in a certain way for release back into the wild.
In my country we dont have rules regarding mallards.

Domesticated or not, they both can fly. Even the domesticated lines may fly away, even if they don't migrate. I can't say if they would come back or not. I would lean towards saying no because majority of birds in the wild do not make it past their first birthday. If they survived, it could be possible, or they would just find another home. I would personally clip their wings so they can't fly away.

Back
Top Bottom