question about modern game bantams egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AK_Button_Mama, Jun 18, 2009.

1. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I have 2 modern game hens. they are 16 weeks old. when will they start to lay eggs? I ask because I would like to breed them to the two roosters I have for more babies! but I dont know if they are like normal chickens do they start to lay eggs around 21 weeks?

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

3. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    yeah I have read that they only lay like 90 eggs a year I wonder when they start tho!

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Crowing

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I belive they start like most other chickens 5 to 6 months of age.
    I have 2 sets of trio's and they are terrible egg layers. good luck!

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Same age range...like other game birds...poor layers but great mothers

6. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I figure if I could just get a couple more that I could raise too then I would be happy!!! I am not that concerned about the amount of eggs cause these birds are more of a show bird anyway!!!

ok so seems like soon my ladies will start to lay! thanks!

7. southernfiction

southernfiction In the Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    This is a very old post, but I wanted to add a note. My four-month-old Modern Game bantam has a clutch of five eggs right now. January 3, 2014. I'm not sure if the light I keep on them for heat has anything to do with her laying early. I just hope she wants to set! (Set is a southern term for going broody.)

8. Mypomgirl

Mypomgirl Hatching

Feb 25, 2014
    Glad to hear you are getting eggs this early in the year! My daughter just got a trio and we have a lamp on them. Lots of breeding going on but no eggs...yet!

9. southernfiction

southernfiction In the Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Turns out I might be getting eggs early because I'm in Mississippi. I sent 10 of her eggs to the incubator man and 10 hatched, lost 4, the other 6 are 3-weeks old and hilarious. Then she started laying again and I let her keep 4 eggs. They are due March 1. She laid 10 in that clutch also, but I've been told the early-hatched birds get too large. Supposed to raise them from March onward. I'll just wait and see what happens with these.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: