question about modern game bantams egg laying

AK_Button_Mama

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
I have 2 modern game hens. they are 16 weeks old. when will they start to lay eggs? I ask because I would like to breed them to the two roosters I have for more babies! but I dont know if they are like normal chickens do they start to lay eggs around 21 weeks?

I belive they start like most other chickens 5 to 6 months of age.
I have 2 sets of trio's and they are terrible egg layers. good luck!

I figure if I could just get a couple more that I could raise too then I would be happy!!! I am not that concerned about the amount of eggs cause these birds are more of a show bird anyway!!!

ok so seems like soon my ladies will start to lay! thanks!

This is a very old post, but I wanted to add a note. My four-month-old Modern Game bantam has a clutch of five eggs right now. January 3, 2014. I'm not sure if the light I keep on them for heat has anything to do with her laying early. I just hope she wants to set! (Set is a southern term for going broody.)

Glad to hear you are getting eggs this early in the year! My daughter just got a trio and we have a lamp on them. Lots of breeding going on but no eggs...yet!

Turns out I might be getting eggs early because I'm in Mississippi. I sent 10 of her eggs to the incubator man and 10 hatched, lost 4, the other 6 are 3-weeks old and hilarious. Then she started laying again and I let her keep 4 eggs. They are due March 1. She laid 10 in that clutch also, but I've been told the early-hatched birds get too large. Supposed to raise them from March onward. I'll just wait and see what happens with these.

Back
Top Bottom