Question about my chicks' squatty little necks

rhondapiper

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Harford County Maryland
I have 7 chicks, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 1 gold laced wyandotte, 2 buff orps and 2 black autralorps.

All chickens are active and appear healthy. They are about 10 days old.

The posture of the wyandottes is beginning to concern me. While the buffs and the aussies strut around all proud and with their necks extended often, all three wyandottes seem to pull their heads in toward their bodies more, and look almost short-necked. Their chests have more of a crease down the center than the other chicks do.

If this is normal and they just have different shapes, please let me know to alleviate my concern.

The only recent change to their environment is that I switched to shavings, which I have not seen them eat a lot of. They are on chick starter only, no treats, no grit. They eat the occasional bug who is suicidal enough to fly in.

Thanks!

Edited for abysmal spelling.

Last edited:
I usually don't bump my own posts, I just let them die.
tongue.png
But I'm really curious and hoping to get some input. Thanks!

I don't know if this means anything, but my Wyandotte does the same thing. My chicks are four weeks old, and the Australorp and Jersey Giant are always stretching out their necks, but not the Wyandotte. The Dorking is somewhat in between. Not a very large sample size, I know, but at least I can tell you that my chicks are behaving the same way.

Last edited:
My wyandottes do pretty much the same thing too...

I do notice it more out of the SLW than the GLW though. The SLWs will stretch their necks out when they see something they really want though!

Back
Top Bottom