Question about my Pekin

Jjmduckdad

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
Hi All! We're new duck owners, and I have 2 3 week old Pekins, 3 2 week old khakis, and 1 duck that we think is a black runner. The 2 pekins are a little older than the rest and quite larger which I heard was normal. These are TSC ducklings. They've been on Dumor chick starter 20% non medicated and I've been supplementing with Brewers Yeast and poultry vitamins every day since we've had them. Everyone seems to be doing great, and in a few more weeks we'll be sending them outside to their coop. We've noticed both Pekins feet are huge and it seems like they're frame is almost too big for their legs based on how quickly the they're growing. The one Pekin seems to have a little more of a bow and Les extension in it's legs then the other, but still walks around and acts fine. Is this just normal large oekins growing and legs and frame not really on track with each other? They get taken for bath and outside for excercise just about daily. Do I just keep taking care of them and see in a couple weeks how it's doing? I've seen pics of niacin deficient pekins and I wouldn't say it's bad like that, just mildly off from the other Pekin.

:welcome

Could you post a video of them walking?

If you think they are starting to look bow-legged, I would pick up some Durvet Cattle B Injectable for Cattle, available at most feed stores. You can administer around 1/2 ml a day to each duckling either over treats, just as a preliminary measure.

This is the best stuff for the ducks! 1 ml over treats they will eat right up! You can't really overdose because what their little bodies don't need they pee out.
TSC $16.99
IMG_0251.JPG

Sorry for all of the questions, what would you normally drop this on as far as treats go, so that each duck is getting their dosage? I already ordered 2 bottles and will be picking up from tractor supply tomorrow.
what I would do to make sure they all get the full dose and one isn't hogging all the treats I'd take them one at a time away from everyone else and just give a private treat dish for each one.

Maybe someone else has an idea that is better but that's what I would try first just to make sure they get enough of it to start working.

I'll try using a flatter small plate and will put some on it just in the morning for them and see how it goes. Is the grit something you keep a constant supply of for them to eat? When I have kept it out they tend to keep eating it.
Last question- if they're getting Brewers yeast on their feed each time I refill it, and they're getting poultry vitamins sprinkled in their water each day, is there such thing as overloading them with the b complex? Aren't they getting the recommended amount by me supplementing with Brewers yeast? Just trying to understand why the one pekins legs aren't looking as good as the other and if I can harm the other ducks with everything? Thanks for your help!
No, you will not be giving them grit forever. Once they go outside and are noodling around in the dirt they will not need grit anymore. I hatch once a year in the spring/summer and my little bag of grit will probably last the rest of my life with ducks.

I think when you're putting the vitamins in the water a good portion of it is getting wasted with spills and just messy duckling antics so I wouldn't worry about them getting too much.

As far as the yeast goes, actually nutritional yeast is supposed to be better for them than Brewers yeast but giving them the brewers is still good and I can't imagine it hurting any of them. I put 2 heaping tablespoons of nutritional yeast on the top of their food every time I fill up their buckets just because it's good for them as well as it is for people too!

Pekins were bred for meat and they grow so fast just for that reason. That is why their poor legs just can't keep up with all the weight they put on. They were not meant to live a long life. I hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom