Question About Nest Boxes "Outside" Coop Frame..........

sandysylvester

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
I use that term loosely. I had a question for you folks who have coops with external entry nest boxes (the ones you lift the lid to get eggs).
http://amishcoops.com/4x6-chicken-coop/

My DH seems to think they are a "leak/draft/etc (weakness in structure) waiting to happen. I prefer them because the actual roost area is bigger.

Just wanted input from experienced owners on how you guys like or dislike them. We are on the fence of either building or buying at this time.

Last edited:
I added an outside cup box solely for those reasons. I have a smaller coup, and it added space instead of taking it away. I see what he is saying, but then again, most on here say you can't add enough ventilation.;) But its easy to seal these areas up.

having several pens of breeders I love the external entry. you can use a piece of weather stripping and draw hasps to keep the weather out. if your in a real cold climate you can build them out of 2 inch stock, or insulate with Styrofoam. I do put the entry inside of my barn, with a latchable door between my chickens and the neighbor's dogs. this would also help with other wild animals.

use some exterior caulk on the seams to stop leaks.
build a lip on the bottom of the access lid to overlap and help keep out drafts.
in cold climates don't use metal in construction (except nails/screws)

hope this helps.
brian

having several pens of breeders I love the external entry. you can use a piece of weather stripping and draw hasps to keep the weather out. if your in a real cold climate you can build them out of 2 inch stock, or insulate with Styrofoam. I do put the entry inside of my barn, with a latchable door between my chickens and the neighbor's dogs. this would also help with other wild animals.

use some exterior caulk on the seams to stop leaks.
build a lip on the bottom of the access lid to overlap and help keep out drafts.
in cold climates don't use metal in construction (except nails/screws)

hope this helps.
brian
+1
They will be warm, cozy, and draft free if built well. They offer a lot of advantages. My coop is not insulated but I added rigid insulation to all sides of the nest boxes. Weather stripping where the lid meets the box and overhang lip on the lid will keep out any drafty air. A design so the lid stays up when you collect eggs is also best.

Thank you everyone. I dont want to have a "I told you so moment" with him! LOL.
tongue.png

We looked at a coop that had internal nest boxes. Beautiful, but I hated the interior setup. It was small to me. I have 6 new babies and 2 older hens. Just weighing out the options and we are on different ideas on what is a good coop plan. If boxes are internal I want a 4x8. I think external I can get away with a 4x6. My girls free range all day.

You will also enjoy collecting eggs more if you reach under hens from behind since you don't get pecked and the girls don't mind and stay put! I hate gathering eggs from the front due to the pecking... I don't like to shoo the girls off the nest.

Beware tho that ready made coops with external nest boxes may not be well leak proofed.
this is true, a lot of people who build them are more worried about getting them out and making them look pretty. if buying a ready made coop, look for a long roof overhang on the nest box side. when building nest boxes myself, I plan to attach the hinge directly to the side of the building, with a 1 foot roof overhang. also put a pretty steep slope on the nest box roof. I always point them so the are on the non windy side. if one ever did leak I would cut a piece of plastic, rubber or anything waterproof and flexible and put a 3 or so inch strip over the seam.

I live in a cold climate and did not like the idea of the external nest boxes hanging out there and cut off somewhat from the heat produced in the coop. But, I liked the idea of external egg collection as my coop is only 4' high. So, I built the nest boxes inside but provided external access. Also, I put the next boxes up about 16" off the floor so didn't lose any floor space in my 6 X 8 coop. There are some paper-thin gaps between the cover hatch board and the egg collection holes, but I am leaving them for ventilation for now. Can always weatherstrip next winter. Here are a couple of pics. This approach was the best of both worlds for me.

Back
Top Bottom