Question about NPIP?UPDATE____bad news!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catsmithpuddin, May 25, 2011.

1. 1livelychick

1livelychick Songster

Feb 22, 2010
    That is so sad on many levels. So sorry for your loss![​IMG]....

2. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    So sorry to hear this!! [​IMG] It's crazy. If I'm not mistaking when Dr. Barrington was talking at the Expo we had in Monroe in March it's been a really long time since they had any birds come up positive.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Yes, you will have to depopulate the positive birds and recheck the negative ones because it can spread from bird to bird.

The best thing you can do though is to check your records to tell the State where you acquired your birds from.

4. kelar

kelar Songster

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    So sorry to hear that - I know we have not had it in Wa. in a very long time so no doubt the Dept of Ag will be looking closely at this. I would find this devastating, but still glad we have NPIP testing to keep it under wraps.

5. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    pips&peeps :

Yes, you will have to depopulate the positive birds and recheck the negative ones because it can spread from bird to bird.

The best thing you can do though is to check your records to tell the State where you acquired your birds from.

yes that's what I would do,, we don't want this spreading all over the country!!!!​

6. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    So sorry [​IMG].

I have asked if they are NPIP and what they test for MG and etc. And some do not even reply back to me [​IMG]

7. Thomas423

Thomas423 Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    So sorry to hear that. I was reading your signature line and it says that you have 11 biddies. Will they be okay or will you need to start over fresh?
    I just got mine tested too and I'm happy to say that all tested negative. I've been very selective about where I bought from, but you never know.

8. I hate that for you. [​IMG]

9. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Songster

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    what is NPIP?

10. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chirping

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    I'm sorry to hear about your NPIP troubles!

I'm really unfamiliar with NPIP - if someone gets approved does the tester come back out every so often to re-test to make sure the flock still passes? Or is it a one-time testing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: