Question about Old Cotswold Legbar

punk-a-doodle

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Is this the same breed and variety as Green Fire's Cream Legbars? I'm a bit confused. Cream legbars are said to lay blue eggs, but when I read about Cotswold Legbars from England, they mention green, blue, peach, and pink. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi punk-a-doodle,

There are some similarities - Here is some info:

http://www.cotswoldnews.com/news/241/old-cotswold-legbar-what-the-heck-is-that

Here is a discussion of Old cotswold legbar versus cream legbar
http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74348

Punnett (of Punnett's Square fame) developed the Cream legbar. It is derived from a South American Blue egg layer, a brown leghorn and a barred Plymouth rock. It almost sounds from some of those links that the Cotswold is a bit like our Easter Egger...since there are so many egg colors.

Thank you so much Chickat! After reading some links within your links, it sounds like the Cream Legbar is comparable to our Auracanas, and as you said, the Cotswald is like our EEs.

I really like the egg color variety of the Cotswald. I wonder what you'd have to cross a Cream Legbar with to get varied colors in the eggs, but maintain the yolk richness and larger size the Cream Legbars and Cots are said to have?

...Or if Cots are available in the US! :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much Chickat! After reading some links within your links, it sounds like the Cream Legbar is comparable to our Auracanas, and as you said, the Cotswald is like our EEs.

I really like the egg color variety of the Cotswald. I wonder what you'd have to cross a Cream Legbar with to get varied colors in the eggs, but maintain the yolk richness and larger size the Cream Legbars and Cots are said to have?

...Or if Cots are available in the US! :)
Such a good question and I don't know the answer. Those egg colors really did look pretty and the chickens quite a variety in colors too. IF I find out anything in the future, I will be back to post. Hope you will do the same...and who knows there may be a Costwold expert who could provide enlightenment!

Cotwold legbars are not autosexing but are legbars and they do not breed true

you can almost call them a lesser legbar

they where developed here in UK coltswold and are not available anywhere

i know of a breeder of these and can get eggs but they are of no interest to me at all

and i would suggest to you aswell get some cream legbars they are better

also i would like to add

a gold legbar was made using a brown leghorn and a barred plymoth rock (always giving the brown eggs) and is a recognised breed as a Gold Legbar

then the araucana was added to cross the Gold legbar with purly for the blue egg gene which also made is go a silvery colour and was finally seen as its own breed and recognised as a Cream Crested Legbar now known only as the Cream Legbar

this is why when looking for a cream legbar you need to look at the colour any Gold in the Cream legbar is not of show quality

with that said a cream legbar with gold in it is still a cream legabr and will be just as brilliant (infact my Cream legbar roo has hints of gold in him too)

Last edited:
silverfox,

thanks! Just knew someone would know....but what about those pink eggs? ;O)

a costwold legbar can be called a glorified easter egger with a single comb

and as we are all aware blue egg gene and pea comb go hand in hand

so an easter egger with a single comb can lay any colour depending on parentage

so i think thats why they have such a wide range of colour and hence why they dont commit to one colour as even the breeders dont know and will only know the colour when the hens start to lay

Very helpful Silver! Thanks so much for taking the time to type that all out.

I'm a huge fan of both mutts and purebreds, so it's not so much that I'd want to keep cream legbars or cots... But rather both! Separate of course. :)

Very helpful Silver! Thanks so much for taking the time to type that all out.
I'm a huge fan of both mutts and purebreds, so it's not so much that I'd want to keep cream legbars or cots... But rather both! Separate of course.
smile.png

your very welcome

Hybrids are great birds and i have 12 of them myself

just keeep in mind a cotwold legbar is a hybrid is the same respect a prod red, red sexlink, black sex link, cinnomen queen, etc etc is

its a cream legbar cross with another breed and was labled with the name cots legbar

now for example i have a cream legbar pure breed if i was to breed it say with a araucana and made sure i kept all single comb adn ones that lookeed liek the legbar and continued the breed in that manner

i would have a hybrid legbar and could call it what ever i wanted to call it... because the ccots is not a recgonised breed even in the hybrid market its a very sketchy breed and can pretty much be reproduced by anyone and it will be a basic EE/Hybrid regardles of what its been named

Back
Top Bottom