1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about possible ruptured air sac.

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by sallysinnamon, Apr 22, 2016.

1. sallysinnamon

sallysinnamon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    south eastern
    hi. i'm hand feeding a baby pigeon. i'm not sure if he has a ruptured air sac or not. he is not all swelled up like some birds are. its just the air pockets on his neck.. when he gets real excited and peeps a lot, or when he first starts eating, its possible he took in air. how do I tell the difference? his poop is healthy..hes pretty active. hes 9 days old today. my fear is now, am I feeding him enough..since he swells up when hes eating..im afraid I will stuff him full and something will pop. it seemed less today than yesterday, but its definitely when he gets all frisky before eating. I use the plastic bag method to feed him..thats what he took to. tried all the others. he digs his little beak right in there and gulps it up.

do I wait and see? Ive read if its a ruptured sac it could heal by itself..or it might be just air in his crop? or a combo of both? he definitely wants food..hes not refusing it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by