Question about shipping hatching eggs

Im wondering how all the eggs sold on ebay, from people with out the paper work get through.. I was wanting to start shipping eggs to people when my birds started producing more.. And was wanting to add new bloodlines from eggs shipped to me.. But now I dont know if I want to..

Im going to be watching this thread.. Very interesting..

Please update us on what you find out.

This happened to me. It had nothing to do with paperwork. Haz Mat means hazardous materials. I asked my postmistress about this and she told me that if I ship "CLICK AND SHIP" the packages should not be held over for this, since they can trace the sender so easily. I had shipped through Paypal and thought that was the same thing. Since I switched to CLICK and Ship through the USPS online store, I have never had that happen again. ALSO--you can dow what is called a SCAN form on the Click and Ship site for your priority boxes. When your customers check their tracking number it actually says the box was picked up by the postal service--instead of the usual, the "label has been created" thing I used to get. It proves to the buyer your package shipped and on what day.

What they are checking for is things like anthrax or other hazardous things that terrorists might do, etc. At least that is what I was told. I hope that helps.

Amy

I meant rules HAZMAT-wise. I know the state rules. What I don't know is the HAZMAT (federal DOT) rules.

I do use PayPal -- and you are right, I thought it was the same thing! However, my local PO does scan the form so that I get an origin scan.

This is good info -- I will try that. Thanks so much.

I am very concerned as I have a single order of 9 dozen eggs to go out to an elementary school on Saturday and I don't want to disappoint the kids -- they are so excited about incubating those eggs!

Last edited:
It seems to me, so far that people are having problems with this when they use the print your own postage..

Would you have the same problems shipping eggs when you take the eggs to the post office and pay for shipping fees there..

I wrote to the USPS through their website about shipping eggs.. Like if there was any rules.. And all they could tell me was that you can ship eggs.. But check with your local post office for more rules. I figured they should know the rules for each state.. They should have a list and email it to who ever asks... I understand each state will have their own laws. But I would think that the USPS should have a set list of rules on the proper way to ship eggs.. I even asked how the boxs should be marked.. And got no answer to that question.. They were not very helpful at all..

They make finding the information harder for beginners.. I guess that is why we have BYC.. So we can get the help from people with experiance..

Hope to hear more on this topic...

it's not paypal shipping or there labels i have used it for years and never once had anything in or out opened or inspected.

see if anything in this may have anything to do with it being marked that.

Aviation Mail Security & Hazardous Materials

The safety and security of the mail is our top priority. The Aviation Mail Security and Hazardous Materials Programs provide a safe environment for our customers, employees, and the traveling public. For more information, see frequently asked questions.
Aviation Mail Security Program
Due to heightened security, all mailpieces weighing over 13 ounces bearing only postage stamps as postage must be presented to an employee at a retail service counter at a Post Office. Mailpieces weighing over 13 ounces bearing only postage stamps as postage deposited in collection boxes, lobby drops, or left on counters, in lobbies, or on postal docks will be returned to the sender. Mailpieces weighing over 13 ounces bearing only postage stamps as postage that are left in customer mailboxes will not be picked up by the carrier. Instead, the carrier will return the mailpiece to the customer's mailbox.

What is a Hazardous Material?
Hazardous materials come in a wide variety of forms and can be chemical, biological, radioactive, or a combination thereof. If a material or substance can cause harm to someone or something, it can be considered a hazardous material.

The Postal Service’s definition of a hazardous material includes many common household and consumer products. These items may not be hazardous during normal use or storage in your home but can present a significant hazard when placed in the mail due to vibration, temperature changes, and variations in atmospheric pressure.

Some examples of commonly-used items restricted or considered hazardous under USPS regulations include:

Perfumes
Nail polish
Flea collars or flea sprays
Aerosols
Bleach
Pool chemicals
Paints
Matches
Batteries
Fuels or gasoline
Airbags
Dry ice
Mercury thermometers
Cleaning supplies
Items previously containing fuel
Glues
Fireworks

Other items, such as alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, liquor), are not considered hazardous but are prohibited and boxes displaying such markings are also prohibited.

If you are unsure whether a material is considered hazardous or is prohibited, please contact 1-800-ASK-USPS or your local Business Mail Entry Unit.

Resources to Help Determine Mailability
1. Poster of the most relevant information on hazardous materials:
Poster 138 - (PDF) | (HTML)

2. The mailing standards of the United States Postal Service:
Domestic Mail Manual 601.8

3. Information on what may be mailed and how items must be packaged and labeled:
Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail - (PDF) | (HTML)

4. Notice on hazardous materials found in all USPS retail locations:
Notice 107, Let’s Keep the Mail Safe – (PDF) | (HTML)

5. Notice on hazardous materials available from USPS letter carriers:
Notice 128, The Safety of the Mail is Everyone’s Responsibility – (PDF) | (HTML)

6. Post Office lobby poster:
Poster 37, It's What's Inside and How It's Packed – (PDF) | (HTML)

7. USPS workplace poster:
Poster 298, Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Warning Labels and Markings – (PDF) | (HTML)

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader

Hazardous Materials Program
Mailers are responsible for the following:

Ensuring no hazardous material is mailed unless it is permitted under Postal Service mailing standards described in the Domestic Mail Manual 601.10.
Knowing the physical characteristics of the hazardous materials they wish to mail.
Making sure all Postal Service regulations are followed regarding the packaging, markings, labeling, and declaration of hazardous materials placed in the mail.

Reused packaging and boxes are only acceptable when all markings and labels are removed or completely marked out so they cannot be read. Regardless of what is actually inside your package, markings or labels for hazardous or restricted materials may prevent your package from being delivered. For more information, see Domestic Mail Manual 601.5.1.b.

Failure to comply with any USPS requirements may result in the delay or non-delivery of your item.

Last edited:
here is a chart that may help too,

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/posters/pos138.pdf

from what i see by the chart looks like since it was not on the list they thought they were not allowed since they saw it written on the box they were hatching eggs.

do u know where they got marked hazmat? is there anyway if u shipped from another po it would route different so they don't go through the same place again? what about sending them as fragile and perishable only? most of my packages i only put that because i find they get killed worse in shipping when marked eggs and don't x-ray ect. i would just not put anything on outside saying what was in it and try it again with a few eggs to someone and try it again see if it goes through without probs.

I spoke with the Postal Service this morning.

They told me to stick to the Priority mail boxes. They have no idea what happened, other than that one was sent back to my Post Office and they sent it back on its way. It's probably still in transit. They suspect that the plain box was the issue and that it was heavy and obviously a resused consumer box.

So that's where we stand. I'm trying to get my money back since I had to refund all those customers. ONly one elected to purchase insurance, and even though, they are insured against loss and non-delivery -- the PO won't insure eggs for breakage or damage.

Thanks for the update. I thought it was the combination of the box and the labels that was the problem. Most likely someone saw the "do not drop or jar" and the plain box and erred on the side of caution.

I bought some of those "invoice enclosed" self adhesive envelopes that stic k to the outside of the box. I made labels to place on top of those that say US Department of Agriculture NPIP papers enclosed. I thought maybe after reading this post that that might keep them from doing the haz mat thing. I will put the NPIP papers on the outside of the box where they can look at them if they want to instead of inside of the box. Can't hurt, right?

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow I have had many eggs shipped without a problem. Only one shipment did not hatch, but maybe it was x-rayed? Good luck in the future!

Back
Top Bottom