Question about Silkie Chicks.

I don't do anything different for my silkie chicks and I have been rearing them for several years. I put them in with the standard chicks till they get about four weeks old and I separate them due to size but sometimes I wait longer. I have never seen a difference in raising them.

I have raised several batches of silkies and they are no harder than other chicks to raise. I even have one that was premature and is still half the size of a normal silkie but she is laying and thriving. They are really broody. I have 2 hens that have hatched out 6 babies and I put more eggs under them.

I say go for them.

jackie

Quote:
well i'm 15 too, so i understand that, but i think everyon here will agree with me hen i say no matter what age you gotta go with your gut feeling, unless you severly doubt it.

What a crazy thing he said.

My Silkies seem to have less water roll off of them when out in the rain, so I am concerned when they get wet in cold weather, but, even then they seem to be fine.

Sometimes we've put a lamp on them when they are cold and wet, but sometimes we were not around to do so. None of the chickens are "smart" enough to stay out of the rain!

I've raised my Silkies right along with banties, and a few standard hens. They have been good moms, almost as good as the Japanese.

I do wonder about the new craze for "blind" Silkies. They wouldn't do so well out in the pasture.

There are a few Yahoo groups that are just for Silkie breeders/owners.

Enjoy your Silkies!

I "baby" mine a bit- letting them get a little bigger before putting them outside if it is cold- but I haven't had any illness issues with them. I keep them in longer in part becaue they are so darn cute!

well i mean, things like that about the rain and all is kind of obvious for the older birds. And i would never let any babies get wet, no matter what breed they are. But i had done a lot of looking around and reading up on silkies and had never seen that, so i didn't think it was right. He's all the way past baton rouge, too far from me so im not buying from him anyways. Sounds like, like yall said, that he had some sick breeders that caused his babies to be sick.

All I have are silkies, NEVER had any problems. I've only been raising them for a few years, but we have had great success. If I hatch them and raise them, I have 100 % success. If I let my broodies do it I usually only loose 1 at the most, due to natural causes of being out on their own. Give it a try anyway, I don't know why he told you that, maybe "HE" has a problem, but you can do it.

Back
Top Bottom