Question about size of SLWs...for coop measurement???

FlewTheCoop

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
I know how much these birds weigh on average, but how big are they at full adult size? I can't find a decent picture with any frame of reference (like a person holding one). I'm trying to figure out clearance beneath my coop so they can go under there for shade if they want to, but I don't want to raise it up anymore than necessary for stability purposes. So, basically, how tall do these birds get? I guess the rooster would be the largest, so how big to the roosters usually get? Thanks in advance!

You're welcome!
big_smile.png

I have my coop raised 18", but have provided shade elsewhere. My coop is outside the run for many reasons and it is stable. The foundation is built on 4x4 posts which have a 2 x 4 joist, joist support of wall support on all 4 sides. This keeps them straight and sturdy. Take a look:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=17397

You might also want to visit my personal page shown below. It's as much fun as the law allows.(o;}

Dr.Doorlock :

I have my coop raised 18", but have provided shade elsewhere. My coop is outside the run for many reasons and it is stable. The foundation is built on 4x4 posts which have a 2 x 4 joist, joist support of wall support on all 4 sides. This keeps them straight and sturdy. Take a look:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=17397

You might also want to visit my personal page shown below. It's as much fun as the law allows.(o;}

I'm very impressed with your nests. Innovative!​

I have 16-18" under the house part of my tractor, and it worked fine for my ISA Browns (pretty much same size as Wyandottes)... they couldn't stand fully totally upright under there but it did not seem to bother them any.

Just make sure you don't let them any further under the coop than you are willing to kneel or lie down and crawl in after them, or to clean, etc... not an issue with a small coop but if you are planning something like 8x8 then it's worth giving some thought to unless you enjoy doing a commando crawl facedown in chicken poo
wink.png

Have fun,

Pat

Thanks everyone! My coop is quite small, only a bit over 4'x4'x4'. We're using 4"x4"s for support like the example kindly posted above. They will have a lot of outdoor space, and there are two smallish trees on either side of the run area. But we are in Mississippi where summers are brutal, so the more outdoor shade, the better. 18" sounds good to me, in case I need to shimmy under there for any reason...and I'm sure I will end up having to for some unimaginable issue. haha.

By the way, I'm planning on ending up with only three chickens, ideally, so that might explain my small coop size. haha. I want two hens and a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom