Question about sneezing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Southern28Chick, May 25, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My roo, Sgt. Major Bok Bok is sneezing!!! I noticed it this morning. This afternoon I noticed that when he sneezes a bit of nasal discharge aka snot comes out of his nostrils.

What could this be? I just changed their bedding yesterday, could the fresh pine shavings be bothering him? And I want to get them outside this weekend. Would that make him better or worse?

Other info:
    He's the only one doing it so far, They are on medicated feed, They are not vaccinated, He is eating and drinking and acting pretty normal and They are almost 4 weeks old.

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I guess nobody knows why he's sneezing?

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It could be the change in the bedding or pollen. I know our pollen is ridiculous up here.

4. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    sounds like he has a cold go on google and find out how to treat him hope this helps

5. chickedeefarm

chickedeefarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2007
    Gavilan Hills
    Not sure if this is what you have but, a cold in chickens could be infectious coryza which is a respiratory disease. If you have Vet RX, apply it on his nostrils. You also need to medicate.

Here's an article from Peter Brown that describes it in detail as well as how to treat it http://www.featherfanciers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61

I hope this helps!

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    However, I had/have chickens that sneezed and it wasn't an illness. I presumed they got something up their noses. But if there are other symptoms, like runny eyes, listlessness, etc., then I'd be more concerned.

Ellen

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I've got 2 that have been sneezing for the last 4 weeks. No idea why. They eat fine and act fine. Just sneeze like they have allergies or something

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens sneeze for the same reasons humans do: irritants, allergy, infection etc...

If the snot is clear I wouldn't worry, if it's thick and white or yellow it's more likely to be a problem. Most of the time though, it's not a big deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by