Question about some Quinea eggs.

dasharoundfarmn

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 29, 2012
Trinity, NC
I got these eggs from a friend of mine. She said to rinse them in warm water and then let them dry completely before I put them in the incubater. She said not to put them into any kind of plastic container so I put the in a glass baking dish with a paper towel in the bottom of it. I noticed this morning that some of the eggs had these strange spots on them. I am going to attach a few pictures of the eggs. Does anyone know what this is? I have never incubated eggs before and if I am doing something wrong Please help me to learn how to do it right. Thanks!!

To wash, or not to wash.....that is the question! LOL Alot of people do not wash eggs before they set them in the incubator because it can wash off the invisible "bloom" which is a barrier that keeps out germs and such. Others swear by washing them first, as to not contaminate the incubator.

Looking at your pic, the one blob on the egg looks to be yolk, while the other just looks like a calcium deposit on the shell. It's kind of hard to tell, if that last spot is a wet or dry substance though.

If you suspect any of those eggs are seeping liquid, then don't incubate those, because that means they're bad. Those eggs can explode in your incubator, leaving you with a horrid, stinking mess to clean out!

Good luck with your incubation, and let us know how it does,
Sharon

Thanks, Yes they are wet. I will pull those eggs and toss them I guess. Not all of them are doing it just a few. I really am really thankful for advice.

You can also candle them in a dark room, shining a flashlight thru them... if you see anything but a basically clear egg with a faint yellow shadow of the yolk they may have started developing, stopped and then rotted. Fresh eggs (fresh enough to incubate anyway) shouldn't be any older than 14 days and have a visible, but small air cell at the big end of the egg, no bigger than the diameter of a quarter but rounded/domed of course, to the shape of the top of the inside of the egg.

Also, bad eggs will have a nasty smell to them... so I'd carefully give them a sniff test too, as you candle them.

Do you know if all those eggs are from one Hen?

Thanks for your information and your advice. I will try that! No she has 8 females and 2 males, these eggs are from a common nest where they lay.

Back
Top Bottom