Question about tail feathers.

newduckie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 9, 2009
Missouri Ozarks
I have a pea who has lost all of his tail feathers... in January and just lost the last ones today. Can this be caused by the lights being supplemented for my chickens ? Peahens have also layed eggs.. in Jan. I have 9 eggs in the incubator right now. I know some are fertile but not all.

I assume you live here in the states? If so, then yes the lights have them all screwed up. I am babysitting some birds for a friend who brought them to me in June of last year and all the train feathers were already gone and the chicks were already five months old. He is back on schedule this year and looking really good.

Agree with the above which is why it's also not advisable to use heat lamps for the birds since in both peafowl and pheasants it screws up their internal clock.

Thank so much. I live in Missouri. They don't get heat lamps but they do ..... did ...have a light on all night , for the chickens. My pied lost all his tail feathers and the other two boys are now in the process of loosing theirs. I turned off the lights when I realized what was happening but to late I guess. They will get back on track I assume?

Back
Top Bottom