question about talking to the post office...

My chicks shipped quicker than expected, so I never got to warn the post office. On top of my personal excitement about the babies arriving, my local post office was being consolidated with the next town's larger post office! I still received a call from the "other" post office at 6:30 am letting me know my package had just been taken off the truck. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. I could not have asked for better service!

The first time I ordered, I was so nervous that I actually typed up a notice of what and when I was expecting a live shipment - I'm sure the folk at our little rural post office were doing this -
roll.png
lol. I was parked outside in the P.O. lot at 6am, when the truck pulled in.
tongue.png
The postmaster assured me that they would have called me by 6:30.
The second time I ordered, I went with a different post office - further away - but a main post office - so my chicks would arrive a day earlier (less time in the mail). I just called them. They flat out told me that they open at 9am and that I would receive a call anytime after then (no early calls
sad.png
). It was still worth it though, since the babies only traveled less than 24 hours...

I used to work for them and am happy to report that they're still a mighty fine bunch to deal with.

In anticipation of my first batch of mail-oprder chicks I called down to the local office and gave the postmaster my land line and cell numbers. She, in turn, asked if 7 am would be too early to call.

As it happened, I got a call Sunday morning from the regional distribution center to let me know that they were that far if I wanted to come get them. Made many such calls in my own day, and am glad they're still doing it.

I can recall a couple of times over the years when I rolled up the doors on the back of a mail trailer, having cascades of baby chicks come ruching down over the mail bags at me. Usually one of those situations where there was a stack of 500- 600 chicks in one order and something puckered open the corners of the stacked boxes to give them a way out.

Then there were the ducks. We would, on occasion, when there were ducks coming through, open a box and take a few into the break room for duck races on the folding lunch tables. Limit on bets was 50 cents. As you might imagine, the ducks just wandered on the tabletop and the biggest ruckus was the argument over just "whose' duck made it to the other end of the table first. Went on for years until (I suspect) the inspectors caught us through the two-way mirrors. The morning after the last race, a memo appeared on the time clock to let us know there would be no more gambling or molestation (best recollection is that is the word chosen -- we didn't abuse the birds) of livestock on the premises.

So . . . the way things are going there, taking good care of your birds is one of the few old traditions around the Postal Service that you can pretty much find their folks still able to take a universal pride in. Don't hesitate to call 'em up, give 'em your numbers or whatever arrangements, and let them know when they're expected. They'll be happy to help. They've been doing it for a long time.

Usually who ever you get your chicks from will write your name and number on the box and your post office will call you. I call the morning they are do in to see if they are there and to alert the post office. I have never had a problem.

I've never called the post office ahead of time. We're a semi-rural area (about 3,000 population inside the city limits), so my PO is used to this sort of thing. As ScottyHOMEy said, they've been doing this a long time. But, it wouldn't hurt to call them & give them your phone number, just in case.

Although I did have a box of eggs from TX that ended up setting in a post office in OK for over a week (according to the tracking), I think for the most part the postal service does a great job. Of course I am a little prejudiced as my dad was a rural mail carrier for over 30 years. My local post office has even called me to let me know that I have eggs that have arrived and to see if I would rather pick them up instead of having the mail carrier deliver them. They're a great bunch here in my little town.

I had chicks come twice this year. Actually some this morning. Both times like clock work I got called at 6:15 am and they let me come down immediately and pick them up. I wrote my name and number down the first time and gave it to them and they hung it on the wall. Glad they had it this morning cause the chicks were a surprise

living in a small town has it advantages when the postal workers know us by name.
smile.png
I always call when I am expecting shipped eggs and they call me when they first come in and it is always before the post office opens. I go pick them up even if it is before they open, just go to the back door. Yes, it is very easy process..the hard part is the sorting people somewhere along the line who try to destroy the box and mostly succeed damaging our eggs.

My PO loves the live shipments, I take them fresh chicken eggs when I pick up my shipped birds. Last time they called excited to tell me one of the ducks laid eggs while traveling. We have had everything from eggs (quail,duck,goose,chicken) to live day old chicks and ducks and goslings to adult duck and geese come in. Couple of the ladies are afraid of them, the guys always ask how the previous are doing, and how their wives ask when they might get more fresh eggs.

Back
Top Bottom