question about talking to the post office...

lilchicklover

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I have to go to the post office today to tell them I ordered chicks and that they should come in next week, what should I say or tell them to do when they arive? What do most post offices say after you tell them. Should I tell them to call right after they get there or will they already know. Sorry I'm new to chickenhood. Thanks

Since I live in the boonies, my post office is used to orders of chicks, so they just took down my name and number and gave me a call at 7:15 the morning the birds arrived. I'd venture a guess that most post offices have similar protocols in place, even if they aren't as rural as mine.

I was actually going to go down today and tell them that I'm expecting another small chick order via express mail next Tuesday, but I didn't get around to it, mostly because I got involved setting up my compost pile and planting a couple of blueberry bushes. I guess I'll do it Thursday morning.

When we ordered ours, we called the monday we knew ours should be shipping, told them we were expecting baby chicks and that our phone number would be on the package. They just said OK and they'd call when the chicks arrived. Sure enough the called a little before 7am that Wednesday to let us know our chicks were making noise in their mail room so we crawled out of bed and my husband went to get them while I put out water and feed in the brooder and turned the heat lamp on so it'd be ready when the baby girls came home.

nothing to it

When I got my chicks thru mail, the hatchery gave me estimate date to arrive at post office.
So I called a day before the estimate day and told them chicks are coming and left my cell phone number.

THEN that morning, I've never got phone call!! They said they will call me!
SO I called when the post office is open (9am) and found out that my chicks were there but post master dialed wrong number and poor some lady got "chick call" 6am!!!
He thought he dialed right number so he kept push "re dial" and by 7am, he gave up...
I don't know where he called so I can't say sorry to the poor lady.

Just to let you know, you don't have to wait until the post office is "open" to call. Some won't answer the phone until after a certain hour I understand, but it doesn't hurt to try.

We have a postal Lady here in Frankford (the Post Office Location) that is a real Princess. I call her with the tracking number and she calls Wilmington De to alert them they are coming. Then she calls the driver that comes down from Wilmington and tell him the birds are on the way. He makes sure they have nothing stacked on them and that they do not get to cold or to hot.

Ms. B then calls me when they get here. If she knows I am in the middle of a hatch she has her assistant put them in her car and bring them over to the far. These folks in small towns go out of their way and I am VERY appreciative.

CDA
NoRuffledFeathers Farm

We get ours from a hatchery and they write our phone number on the box and the P.O. calls us right away when they arrive. Never had a problem.

Quote:
Hi lilchicklover, my husband works for the post office. He told me that they will call you when they arrive. He has called people as early as they open (5am). When we got ours last week I had him call our post office on the day that I was told they were shipping on. He asked them if they can drop them off at the house when they arrive and they did. We only have 1 car and he uses it to go to work everyday so I was worried about them sitting there till he got home. Don't worry they know to call you ASAP. They want to get them out of the office ASAP because they are loud and gives the postal employees headaches. LOL
lau.gif

Last edited:
i work for the post office and i love it when the little peep peeps come in. i've always got my nose in the box trying to see whats in there.
ep.gif
trust me small town post offices in my area love them. we would do anything to make sure they are takin care of.
wee.gif

He works dispatch. He doesn't mind them. In fact he takes pic of them on his phone and sends them to me. It's the other peeps in the office that make a small fuss. When my carrier brought them to me he said they were chirping up a storm in the truck. LOL

Back
Top Bottom