Question about the trip back home from the chick store

rikkitikki58

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 15, 2008
West Tennessee
I live an hour from where Im gonna get my chicks. How do I keep them warm on the trip back home? Also, will the feed store supply me with some kind of container to put them in or do I bring my own?. It is supposed to be in the 70's the day Im going so it wont be cold outside. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

usually the feed store will have a cardboard box. keep the heater on in your car if it feels too cold in there for them. take a little blankie or something maybe. Depending on how many you get, maybe you could put box on front floorboard and have heater on. Good luck!

What feed store? TSC does have boxes to put them in.

Chicks should be just fine in a box on the way home for a hour or so. Heck, they go in the mail for hours and days just fine. I think they should be perfectly okay for you.
smile.png
If you have worries, buy a hand warmer to put in the box (but putting something over top of it and between the chicks so they don't touch it directly).

The feedstore will or should have a chickbox they put them in to travel home...They will be fine in the car's warmth....When you get them home to the brooder box with heatlamp just show them where the feeder and water are...Have fun with your new chicks!!...

You should prepare for the worst and hope for the best. The feed store I picked up chicks at put my chicks in a paper sac and tore little holes at the corners on top, then stapled it. I felt like I was taking home some takeout.
duc.gif

I would bring a little cardboard box and put some paper towels in the bottom.

Also, you if you can set the vent in the car to your feet, and turn the knob/dial to vent the heat from the engine, and put the chicks on the floorboard they should be fine.
wee.gif

I had the same question about our local feed store so I just called them to make sure. We happen to have heated seats in our car so I plan to buckle the box into the passenger side front seat and turn on the seat's heater for some additional heat.

Back
Top Bottom