Question about using 2 incubators

EpicBlueAcres

Songster
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
Ransomville,NY
This year we have gotten alot alot of orders for chicks (first yr shipping) so I decided to try the 2 incubator set up I have heard of some using. The eggs are in my hovorbator incubator for days 1-17 then I move them over to my more high tech full view incuview incubator for lockdown. My eggs looked perfect when going into lockdown, humidity at 70% and temp at 99.5 but nothing happening & today is day 22. What went wrong?
The only thing I can think of is I have the temp at 100-101 in the First incubator as its a still air & the 2nd is a fan circulation set at recommend 99.5. Could that temp change have killed them? Should I just match up the temps? Or do I need a circulation incubator for my day 1-17 as well?
FYI I have had perfect hatches in both incubators when using start to finish. This is my first hatch trying to rotation idea. The reason I am trying this is I have lost chicks that had zip trouble that I was not able to see in the hovorbator incubator, but that holds 47+ eggs & the incuview only holds 27 eggs. So with the rotation I can hatch eggs every week. Thanks for any help as I very important eggs going into lockdown on Thursday.

I use separate hatchers that I transfer eggs into. My incubators and hatchers have fans, but I often unplug them in the hatchers because I think the fan can be harsh while hatching. If I had your set-up I would switch the fan (if possible) to the incubator or get a fan for your incubator and see if that makes a difference... to have more uniform conditions in both. I just use a computer fan with a cell phone charger to power it. When I turn off the fan in my hatchers, I still keep the temp between 99 to 100 and it doesn't bother anyone.

Thankyou so much! Unfortunately the fan is not detachable, will look into the computer fan for the other one. You don't happen to have a photo of yours? Is it attached to the top/lid?

I don't have a hovorbator, but the fans do attach to the lid. I have heard of people using zip ties. It is usually cheaper to get a computer fan and cord ( I usually have a few from phones that have died) than to buy an official fan kit, but the kit fans probably just plug right in. I hope you get it sorted out soon... bad hatches suck.

Actually had this 1 hatch (day 23)

Back
Top Bottom