Question about ventilation

Crystal Chicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
Ontario, Canada
I built this myself so I am sure it's. It perfect but I'm working on it being the best it can be. The whole top is open, between the roof and the walls with hardware cloth. It seems to cool down fine at night (it was 71 in there) but the chickens still seem to pant like they are hot. They aren't panting during the day when they are outside so it has to be something with the coop. Should I add a couple of windows? Is this ventilation enough? 1000007522.jpg

I would suggest some openings lower in the coop so that the opening between the roof and walls can draft and pull hot air up and out of the coop. With just the roof/wall opening, the air in the coop will be stagnant.
This works like a charm! I cut another window into my coop at eye level for the birds and now you can feel the breeze lofting through it even in the hot days. Now they all try to crowd in by the new window every night....crazy birds

This works like a charm! I cut another window into my coop at eye level for the birds and now you can feel the breeze lofting through it even in the hot days. Now they all try to crowd in by the new window every night....crazy birds
Haha awesome! So for somewhere that has a cold winter, you'd just block it off when it gets cold?

My coop is completely open at the bottom. The roof is open at the eaves. The tin overlap is open and the ridge cover is open as well. If there is no breeze/wind, the draft is from the bottom up. If there is wind mi event, it blows right through the coop. Ventilation is absolutely necessary here in central Georgia. I have two fans inside the coop that I turn on in the morning and off at dark. The heat index here has been over 105 for the last three weeks so I give the girls all the fresh air and breeze I can. Plus, as you can see, the coop is in the shade, only getting morning sun.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpeg
    IMG_1358.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom