Question bout a eye abnormality

ScaredOfShadows

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Semora NC - on the VA line
I have a duck that since I got it (actually reason I got the duckling and a partner for it) @ 1 week old has had an eye abnormality. its eye is completely useless, bulges out, obviously blind in it, its blue/opaque in color...it can't close the eyelid that i've ever seen so I always catch her and put ointment on the eye to keep it moist...

Should I take her and have the eye removed or should I just do what I'm doing for the rest of her life? They free range, and I mean they go no where (they are roughly 14 weeks now) and she's pretty easy to catch every day... but i'm wondering if its going to be a hinderance to her to have it there when it serves no purpose or could cause her issues later if she pokes it out or something....just wondering, any opinions?

She gets along fine, she just is the bottom duck of the flock but the other buff colored duck (her partner (sure its male too) ) looks after her...If I can manage it I will take pictures tomorrow and post...I only have a cell phone at moment to take pics so we'll see how they turn out - lol.

I have raised ducks that only had one eye- and they did fine. I guess it comes down to how long you can keep up putting the ointment on the eye... If it never weeps- or shows sign of infection there may be no need to rmove it- but if she starts to get prone to infections or has trouble with the eye- It might be easier in the long run to remove it. If she is blind in that eye- she has no use for it- so removing it and closing up the eyelid may be a health option for the future.

thats what I'm more worried about. I dont mind putting the ointment on every day...i've been doing it every day for atleast 13 weeks now, its just a quick process...I'm just worried about the eye coming out on its own or rupturing from running into a branch or another duck pecking at her and rupturing it...

I just dont know if I can swing a vet bill I can only imagine the amount I will be charged up the tail end for something like that...I love my birds and fowl but spending really big bucks I just can't afford to do. my real money goes into my dogs and cats...I guess I'll need to talk a couple vets and find out their advice and prices and payment options before I decide.

the avian vet here won't even see a bird without a 164.00 charge. that's before the usual x rays. then add on medicines and other visits. i personally just can't see spending that kind of money when with that same money you could buy a HUNDRED ducklings, most of which will be as cute and as 'one of a kind' as the one that is being treated (because it is so cute and one of a kind)

Back
Top Bottom