Question:Eating eggs from hens on antibiotics-OK?

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Hi, my hens have been drinking oxytetracycline HCI in their water for 2 weeks now. The package says not to give it to hens who lay eggs for human consumption. I haven't been eating any of their eggs, but I wonder if the eggs would do me any harm. Anybody have any ideas?

The reason you are told not to eat the eggs from the chickens on antibiotics is the same reason mothers are not allowed to nurse their babies when they are on medicines.... The medicine transfer through to the egg of the chicken or the milk of the mother.

With that in mind, many, many, many folks are allergeric to antibiotics, especially penicillan deriatives.

I am not allergeric to any antibiotics, so I don't worry about eating eggs that have antibiotic residue in them. I am very, very, very careful not to give any of the eggs away.

I am more wary about eating an egg from a sick chicken. I wouldn't want to consume an egg that might be carring some bacteria that is running ramphant in the chicken.. Previously, I said I don't worry about eating the antibiotic residue because I am not sensitive to them. However, I stay away from eating eggs from any chicken that looks or acts sick. Typically, they aren't laying eggs during that time. They stop laying when they are sick and don't start laying again until they are feeling better....
smile.png

Thanks for your reply. I figured it was because ther might be antibiotic in the eggs and I'm not allergic so I think I will eat them. The chickens just had a little respotory wheezing, that's why I gave them the antibiotics. I will stop the medicine tomorrow and i will wait another 2 weeks until I give any eggs to friends just in case. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom