Question for a experience chicken owners!

bkcruce

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2017
Hi, I bought four baby hens last spring, so they are all the same age, but only one of them is laying eggs now this hen started in September and I just knew the other three will be laying pretty quickly after, but that hasn't happen. It is now December and the weather here in Florida is mild, so I don't understand what is wrong. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Greetings from Kansas, bkcruce, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! That is puzzling. Don't know your set up but here are some possibilities.
-Do your birds free range? If so could they have a cache of eggs hidden somewhere on your property?
-Are they healthy and being fed a balanced hen diet?
-Have they beeen startled by anything? A shock to the system will often hold off laying. But still, by now...
-As daylight hours shorten, production goes down...unsure if it can actually delay the onset of laying.

Gives us more information about your set up...their accommodations, feed, and what breeds they are... too many possibilities to narrow it down at this point. Best wishes!

welcome-byc.gif

Redsoxs has raised some good points so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you here!

You may also want to chat with other members in FL...just do a search to find the Florida state thread and it will pop up.

Best wishes!

Thanks everyone I'm glad to be part of a community, my hens do not free range they are in a nice fenced in area with plenty of room. They are also very healthy I get lots of compliments about how healthy and pretty they are. They are not under any stress and seem to me happy, they love to follow me around. I just do not know why the other hens aren't laying yet. Reba, the name of the hen laying is still producing a egg every day and sometimes even two. Maybe they are not ready yet?

G’Day from down under bkcruce
frow.gif
Welcome!

As your hens have plenty of room, have you had a really good look around that area; you may find that they have a secret stash of eggs somewhere? You would be amazed at what they think is a good place to lay eggs
wink.png

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
big_smile.png

Hi, yes I have looked around the area and I didn't fine any thanks for thought.

Some eggless folks like to give the hens "The Talk." Where they show them a soup pot as their next location, if they don't start laying eggs. Sometimes threats work
gig.gif

Quote: That last bit suggests to me that at least 2 are laying.....very, very rarely do chickens lay more than one egg a day. What makes you think only one is laying?

Also, what breed are they? If they are different breeds, some mature more quickly than others and some are more affected by the short days of winter. Can you post some photos of each one? They will noticeably redden up in the comb when they are about to lay, so you can usually tell which ones are producing or hat they are about to start laying.

My bet is that you have some slower maturing breeds that were delayed by the shorter days. I'm guessing Reba is a production red or red sex link, which you would expect to mature early.

Back
Top Bottom