Question for BYC, got unintentional Cornish X in a sale *NEW ? *

baltimoreharps

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Cabarrus Co.
Hi.
I bought a flock off of CL yesterday and have a dilemma. The flock was supposed to be 2 BO's,1 red chicken, 4 white birds, (I thought Leghorns) 2 ducks and a roo.
I got out there and as soon as I saw the "white chickens" I knew they were Cornish X. The owner of these poor girls was sold the birds as laying hens and did not know any better. The BO's turned out to be EE's, lol, and the red one is a RIR.
3 of the white chickens are Cornish X and the other is a leghorn.
My question is to the Cornish. They were hatched in mid March and are beyond the 8 wk butchering time. They are mobile and do not appear to be in any discomfort, no heart problems, no leg blow outs, etc. They are slow but get around just fine, and they can and do waddle/run if needed, but don't act any differently than an older bird does.
If we butcher them, how long is too long to wait for a bird that's already past time for butchering? I have no problem doing this, but as long as they are healthy and not in pain or discomfort, how long should we wait?
This weekend, next weekend, asap? I really don't know and am asking because I do not want to lose these girls to being past time for going to freezer camp.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
I processed one fed to prolong life for breeding purposes last year after he went lame at about 7 months. He had recovered from bumblefoot, but then the other leg suffered from bearing his weight too long. I don't know his live weight, but he dressed at 13 pounds without the neck and organs. He did have the inedible leg tendons like a turkey, but was tender, juicy, and delicious................ however that was brine cured and slow smoked. A couple of hens were processed at maybe 4 and 5 months after seeing the signs of heart problems; one was great barbequed on the grill over low heat, another cooked boneless in the crock pot to be added to noodles. [I prefer to cook whole in the crock pot, but not enough room for a big CX]

Thanks SteveH. These girls are about 3 months old and huge. I'm guessing without a scale is about 8-9 pounds. They have been fed layer crumble so at least they haven't been fed a higher protein feed. I know that they are above the ideal processing age, but is 3 months old enough to be sure to brine for tender meat?
Like I said, I have no problem with processing these girls. I just want to make sure that I do everything correctly since I'm a novice to processing and butchering. I have a grand total of 1 chicken butchered and processed and she was very, very tough because I didn't do something right.
Definately do not want that to happen again.
hmm.png

The actual processing I don't believe has anything to do with it.
What does have to do with it is: age, sex, free range or confined to a pen, feed and cooking method.
I don't see any reason why you can process them right away. I would brine though. I ALWAYS brine my whole birds for at least 24-hours before I bake them. I am looking forward to getting a smoker again one day. I love my smoked chicken because it is always tender and tasty.

Quote:
Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better about this.
smile.png

Sex: female
Free range or confined: Confined, about 50 sq ft at the most for all the flock before I bought them.They have a bit more now.
Feed: Purina Layena and cracked corn. They are now getting more than that now, plus greens, veggies an other yummies.
Cooking method: I am open to all ideas.
smile.png

brine, and if the meat seems too firm, use it in a dish like chicken tacos, tamales, or a soup, where you use shreadded chicken.

Quote:
Ooh. that sounds really good!! I am all about Mexican cooking, have a row of nothing but cilantro that is rapidly growing into coriander that would be so good to go along with the nuggets. Thank you!!

After butchering, be sure to AGE the chicken in the refrigerator untill rigor mortis passes first( check to see when the legs and wings move loosely again, this may take 1-3 days). Then marinade, add spices and flavorings and cook the way you like it.
droolin.gif

Quote:
What do you do if you process more chickens than fit in your refrigerator? Can you just freeze them until you have room in the fridge?

If the meat is still too firm or tough even after slow, moist cooking, there are several things you can do with finely ground chicken. One dish we enjoy is to mix finely ground cooked chicken with minced onion and enough white sauce to hold together, form patties, then dip into beaten egg, then bread crumbs, and fry in a nonstick pan with just a little butter or oil. Good for sandwiches, or I often take those and turn them into chicken patty Parmesan by covering in a tomato sauce and then cheese.

Back
Top Bottom