Question for BYC, got unintentional Cornish X in a sale *NEW ? *

Quote:
You bet! We've done it this way, with good results. They all went straight to the freezer after slaughter, but when we thawed them, we let them rest in the fridge for a few days before cooking.

I would watch how much cracked corn you give them, it shouldn't take much. I actually had problems with a hen getting sick this winter from feeding it with lay mash. All I give my meaties is duck goose crumbles. it is higher protein than the starter or lay formula and it isn't medicated. I get my chicks vaccinated at the hatchery, so I don't want to feed medicated on top of that.

Quote:
Thanks for that advice. I only give a mixed scratch feed with other seeds mixed in to the flock they are in, but in about a 1 cup ratio once per day for 9 birds. My feed isn't medicated as it's starter/grower for the other younger chickens, and they are finishing off the layer crumble they've been fed up until now. After they are fed that and there is VERY little left of that, I'm switching over to either game bird feed or a higher protein feed than layer crumble.
Another newbie question, we've ordered 50 meaties from Meyer. They are due here Tues to Thusday. I also have options from 2 people with what were supposed to be meat birds that are really leghorns.
With the older meaties, one offer is for 14 that are ready to butcher. If I take those, I've seen where you do have to rest the meat. If I do take them, can you just put them in the freezer after processing and then let sit for rigor to pass after thawing? I really need to know this before I get in over my head.
Thanks!

Personally, I just put them in the freezer right away after I have the butchered. I almost always put them in to brine for at least 24-hours before I cook them up anyway. I see no problem with how I do it. It is nice when the carcass is relaxed to get it situated right in the cooking pan, but otherwise, I never notice a difference.
I have read that you can let it rest after thawing for the same effect as doing it before freezing. Last year we had one of the CRX for dinner the night I brought them home from being butchered.
When I was a kid we killed, plucked and cooked all in the same afternoon.
I think you do what works best for you.
And if you end up with Leghorns for meat, you will get about a fryer size when they are grown enough and that is it. They are a pretty slim breed overall.

I also wanted to say, I use a Duck Goose crumble for my meaties. It is 20% protein and I find it sufficient for growing them out to 8-weeks for butchering. It is unmedicated because I have my chicks vaccinated at the hatchery. I don't see any reason for going to a gamebird at 28% - 30% if it is not needed. You can just make them put on more fat if you feed them with too much corn.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom