Question for people who use the resin sheds for coops

My husband doesn't think I can do things like woodworking, but I think I could. He thinks I will hurt myself or cut off a finger, which would be a big problem as I play the harp. I am afraid of using the table saw and the miter saw, but if I could get him to cut the pieces I need, I think I could do the rest. I just met someone today who is a retired wood shop teacher. I was actually thinking about calling him to see if he would help me. I am going to talk to DH about it tomorrow. This will probably be the last coop we build and I just really had my heart set on a very specific style. It will be very visible from the street as well as our house and wanted it to be something special that I could show others how to build. The garden club wants us on their tour when we get the animal pen all done and I was planning on have my little custom built coop with all the features I have planned for it.

DH has about 4 more weeks of vacation to use up this summer, so I am still hoping I can talk him into it. Wish me luck.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

My husband doesn't think I can do things like woodworking, but I think I could. He thinks I will hurt myself or cut off a finger, which would be a big problem as I play the harp. I am afraid of using the table saw and the miter saw, but if I could get him to cut the pieces I need, I think I could do the rest. I just met someone today who is a retired wood shop teacher. I was actually thinking about calling him to see if he would help me. I am going to talk to DH about it tomorrow. This will probably be the last coop we build and I just really had my heart set on a very specific style. It will be very visible from the street as well as our house and wanted it to be something special that I could show others how to build. The garden club wants us on their tour when we get the animal pen all done and I was planning on have my little custom built coop with all the features I have planned for it.

DH has about 4 more weeks of vacation to use up this summer, so I am still hoping I can talk him into it. Wish me luck.
I know this is an old thread but wanted to add a comment for any lady reading this is the future. I am a 30 year old, 120 lb girly girl. I also happen to be extremely stubborn and HATE asking for help. I built my coop by myself. My husband cut plywood for me for the first day but that got inconvenient so I learned how to use the circular saw by myself. I also learned how to use the miter saw, jigsaw, etc. I designed the entire thing and built and roofed and painted and struggled with chicken wire. I got inventive with tasks such as attaching an 8 foot 2x4 for roof trim....I used bungees to hold one part of the board up while drilling/attaching and holding the other part of the board while standing on a ladder.
To be clear, I am not strong, tough or skilled. My experience with tools and building prior to this was hanging a curtain rod in my home, etc. Anyone can build a coop by themselves!!! Ladies can do it with little to no help!!!
pics of my coop in next post.

Quote:

Wow, that coop came out great! You did an excellent job. Good on you and you go girl!

Things have changed a lot for me since I posted this thread. We moved, which I had no idea we would be doing at the time I wrote this. Our current home has a fairly new 10 by 15 shed, with electricity, already on the property. My husband divided it off per my designs and made it into a goat house/chicken coop so we could get moved in faster. We have decided not to continue on with raising goats and are down to two 15 yo goats. My husband wants this shed back for his workshop, so he has agreed to build me any coop I want. Within our budget and his skill level obviously. You see, the home we bought is a 1946 mountain cottage and we have had to do a ton of repairs and restoration. In the past 4 years, he has had to learn to do a lot of things and is now going to build me my dream coop. He was trying to get it done prior to winter setting in because our current pen is uncovered and makes things difficult in winter, but that isn't going to happen.

He has just built us a new deck and is working on a walk way from the deck out to our driveway. (Our house is at the very back of our property so it is a long walk from the house to the car) He is also building a woodshed and trying to get some painting done and some rain gutters installed. Sooooooooo......he probably won't get the coop done before winter, but will tackle it first thing when the weather breaks! I am so thankful he has changed his attitude. We did have some heated discussions about where to put the coop, but we have come up with a design and a location that we both think will work. So I will have all winter to get my coop design nailed down and save up for the building materials.

It just goes to show that if you put your mind to it, you can do many things you didn't think you could. I am glad I won't have to build it myself as I have a chronic illness now that would make it difficult at best for me to try to do something like this. My husband has learned so much by working on this house and now isn't afraid of building a chicken coop because he knows he can do it. He has even started bringing wood home from his job for the coop. He is in propane and they get tanks in on large pieces of wood that have sections cut out so the round tanks can rest in them. They are quite nice looking and we are going to be using them as the frame for the covered run instead of plain 2 x 4's or 4 x 4's. They are about 2 x 6 and look very nice with all the cut outs. They will make for a good solid frame for the run. It is funny how time changes things. Congrats on building your own coop. You did a wonderful job.

By the way, we did revisit the resin shed idea this summer, as there were a few I liked the looks of, but husband nixed it because of the snow we get. He said he has seen too many of them at his customers homes with collapsed roofs. So even though I was willing to compromise and go this route, he said he didn't think it would be a good idea. Just wanted to let everyone know I am not totally unreasonable or anything. Our new coop will not be visible from the street, so while I still want it to look nice, that isn't as big of a priority now as it was in our previous house where the coop was visible to everyone. All of our neighbors won't have to look at it now, which is why I wanted it to look especially nice at the time I wrote this thread.

Back
Top Bottom