Question for sellers-do you replace eggs for bad hatches-when and why?

pasofinofarm

NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX
13 Years
Mar 22, 2007
Near Houston, TX
OK I'll start by sharing my policy... I have replaced eggs for 'no hatch'.
Every now and then I have replaced even for only 1 or 2 hatched... but I am now getting people who get 3 or 4 chicks and want their eggs replaced. Or want to schedule thier replacements. Like 'I would like replacement eggs please ship on March 14th.' I find this unacceptable. If you want FREE repalcements I feel you should be ready to take them now or as soon as I am able to ship.

I raise helathy poultry started from some of the best stock in the country. I feed an excellent diet and provide pasture to range. I keep them free of parasites and disease. I have them tested annualy by a vet. I test hatch my own eggs with good-great results. I pack carefully and ship by USPS priority... yet some folks have bad hatches... I am sure some of them do all they can too with temp/humidity, etc. But does a bad hatch make it my problem? Even 'no hatch'?

In the same week from the same bunch of eggs that any bad hatch occurs I have someone else e-mailing to say "the hatch went great... every egg hatched" or "10 of 12 hatched" or "I got more than I ever thought possible"...

So I am curious to know what others do. Do you replace eggs or not? and why? I am feeling a little taken advantage of this morning but maybe I am just hormonal and cranky.

Last edited:
I don't replace eggs unless they are held up in transit by the USPS. If they are in the system more than 4 days this is not the buyers fault and I always replace them for postage.

It is impossible for egg sellers to know the incubating practices of the egg buyer. My eggs are fertility checked constantly, as I usually set the first 4 days eggs from the breeding pens each week, and the eggs saved for shipping should be just as fertile. I therefore will not replace eggs for a bad hatch.

Something I kind of figured out last season, was that some eggs do not ship well. I shipped eggs from a breed that I was getting very high hatch percentages from at home. The eggs after being shipped simply did not have viable germs.

I checked this out by sending myself some eggs which were in the system for two days. Not a one candled fertile. I did in this case replace the eggs.

nope I dont replace for bad hatch. that is unless I feel like it... I do the postal delay replacement.

I also would NEVER expect a replacement for eggs that I bought and had shipped. even expensive eggs like I just ordered- but all of those are gonna hatch!!!
wink.png

Just my 2¢ ...

Almost everyone who sells hatching eggs says they won't gaurantee hatchability due to conditions beyond their control (post office handling, incubating practices). Usually they'll offer a comment as well about there own hatching results.

If you incubate test eggs from your various breeding pens regularly and have good results yourself - then I wouln't replace any. But state so in your ads.

Quote:
Nice goodwill gesture. Since it probably doesn't happen often, seems like good policy to adopt.

Everyone knows or should know the risks of shipping eggs I personally think that eggs recieved in a timely manner and packed well should be enough to ask for out of shipped eggs. Although it is a bummer to have a bad hatch I dont see where you could expect to have the eggs replaced to try again till you get it to your liking. But that is just my two cents worth.

Well spoken AK
I also would NEVER expect a replacement for eggs that I bought and had shipped. even expensive eggs like I just ordered- but all of those are gonna hatch!!!

Last edited:
I generally do not replace eggs for bad hatch. I do not know if the person has experience hatching, left the eggs sit outside, has bad incubator etc.

I have even dealt with some buyers who are downright dishonest and have demanded replacement eggs but not the kind they purchased but one of my rarer birds.

I do look at each on case by case. If the eggs were really mishandled, I sometimes will replace the eggs if buyer pays shipping.

I hatch my own eggs so I am careful to only offer eggs that I know I am getting good results from. I also look at other buyers who received eggs during the same time and if they are getting good results.

I never expect anyone that I purchase from to replace eggs for a bad hatch because too much can happen during transit. If I get a bad packing job or in one case rotten eggs then you bet I am going to request a replacement.

Thankfully, I have only had a handful of buyers wanting replacement eggs. Generally, they have been people new to hatching and buying shipped eggs.

:mad:Apart from testing eggs, I would still see if my eggs are fertile and would NOT replace them unless the PO manhandle them or mistreat them. I would also put a tracer on them as well even they dont always scan the tag so you know how many days they have been in shipment or really BAD weather.

I agree with you on the terms of getting free replacement eggs, at YOUR time and YOUR birds laying cycle and your customers that are on the list. Not everyone would be happy with it but do mention that on your sales or Ebay auctions. If they can not understand that, then they should re read your terms before they bid on your eggs.

Yes I have heard alot of people buying eggs and they DO have hatches and inform the breeder that the eggs did not hatch so they can get MORE eggs from you.

Be sure to have them pay for the shipping expenses on the free replacements.

Very good thread. Thanks for posting it.
My biggest concern are those that you ship eggs to that will not tell you when they arrived, how they looked and if they are getting anything from candling those after a few days. But these are often the ones that say they didn't hatch and want replacement eggs.
I don't expect anyone to tell me anything but when I have gotten eggs I let the breeder know as much as possible from my end so they know I am working hard to get those eggs to hatch. I don't expect replacement eggs if things don't go well but it is always nice to have them offered. I know that isn't always possible and have been on both sides of the fence.

Something I kind of figured out last season, was that some eggs do not ship well. I shipped eggs from a breed that I was getting very high hatch percentages from at home. The eggs after being shipped simply did not have viable germs.

Whick specific breed (s) did you have particularly good or bad success rates with? I'll be ordering some eggs soon, and it might influence my breed selection!
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom