1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question for sewers/seamstresses ;) .. need help with a pattern/design

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Guitartists, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm making a stuffed rooster for my son for his birthday. It's my own pattern..... but I need input. There;s a piece that runs up the middle of the body to give it a broad chest and a rump [​IMG] originally I had planned on doing just one row of tail feathers.... but am thinking now that maybe I should do two rows... counting the feathers from the top down... large blue is 1 and so forth... an thinking maybe I should do 1 of #1 but then two of # 2,3 &4... a row on each side of the belly piece. (so when you look from the back it forms an upside downV shape insted of a line)

What do you think? What would you do?

[​IMG]

ALSO.... should I do that generic style comb or should I do a floppy leghorn style comb... or maybe even a different style than that?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ya know I try to keep those cloth pieces out of my sewer they tend to get the toilets clogged.

Oh... not that kind of sewer...??

...Never mind.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is too cute! We know you are going to share that pattern with us [​IMG]

I think 2 rows would be full and fluffy.

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    oH MY STARS! What an awesxome idea@ I cannot wait to see it done [​IMG] Lucky little boy, talented momma.
    I would do the two rows, make it a nice fat roo [​IMG]
    As for the comb, be creative. This is a magical roo, it can be whatever you want.
    How old is your son?
    Hugs
    Christina
    (who would make up a storybook about a magical roo to read to son at night as he clutches the terrific stuffed animal [​IMG] )

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I like the idea of two rows, and I definately think you should mass produce them, because I want one!! [​IMG]

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    IF the pattern is successful, of course! [​IMG] It won't be the most professional... LOL, but, if all goes well I will make a PDF file for any who are interested...... here is the sketch. It has these cool huge buttons that my son loves from Walmart.... he wanted me to buy them ALL! LOL I'm putting them down the front [​IMG] I am thinking of putting pockets under the wings.. for little treasures or maybe a little stuffed chick... just not sure yet.

[​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    He's turning two and he LOVES chickens! I guess I better make a bunch of different combs and try them before I choose [​IMG] I made sure to buy extra fabric in case I had to change anything.

8. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    That is just too cute. I hope you'll show us the finished product!

I like the idea of the inverted V.

I'll tell you something - I made a "Pound Puppy" way back when my son was 2 and we didn't have two cents to rub together. I embroidered "just for Steven, love Mom" on the bottom before stitching it up. I remember sitting up during the night to make it and wondering if he'd like it for all the effort I had in it. He's now 25 and still has it - he took it to SandLand with him while he was there. For all I know that little dog is riding around in his police cruiser. [​IMG]

9. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    That is so cute! [​IMG] it! I would put two rows too.

10. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    WA HA HE HA HAH A!!!

I saw the topic as SEWER like the pipes that take away waste products and storm drains!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by