Question for the Cochin lovers

Sugar Sand Farm

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
North Florida
I have 8 giant cochins. Four are 23 weeks old and the other four are 12 weeks old. So far the two roosters that are 23 weeks old have not crowed.The two hens have not layed an egg yet either. I don't think they are near ready as their cones are still a light red. My question is how old are cochins before they crow and lay eggs. I just love these guys they are so sweet. They accepted the younger birds without any problems Another thing the older birds do not roost yet either. When I go into their coop at night only the young birds are on the roosts. Is this normal? Any help would be appreciated.
Micki

Cochins
love.gif
Cochins mature slower than other breeds. I would not worry about them not crowing yet.
They are very social and mine have always accepted new birds with no issue.
My older birds do not roost at all, they are simply too large to get on the roost easily. We even put the roosts just a few inches off the floor.
Mine actually all huddle together outside in the run most of the time, of course when it gets cooler I will close the coop at night, but for now they are happy and content.

Thanks lockedhearts I was just wondering they are beautiful birds. The others are just starting to lay as well. We have orpingtons and Australopes and my DD has polishall the same age. It just seemed odd that they were the only ones not crowing.

Cochins typically are not the best layers. I get 2-3 a week from the girls. Their attitudes are what really attracts me to them.
My Rooster, Rhett, is a real sweetie, a big fluffy sweetie. He is kind and gentle, he does keep his girls in line, but he is never rough with them.
Rhett does not crow very often, he is over a year old. I think they are just more laid back in all ways. But man are they ever cute!

What I can't get over is the fact that I have two 23 week old roosters and three 12 week old roosters and they don't fight. My daughters polish are always at each other she has to rehome about half of them and the Australopes became a teenage gang they attacked each other and anyone who came within breathing room. I was told they were calm birds but i never dddexpected this. At this rate I may just keep them all.

Yeah my Orps and Houdans are picking. In fact Larry (houdan) has picked all but one of his brothers, Curly, tail feathers out. Curly retaliated by plucking some of Larry's Top Knot ....

The Buff Orps are all missing feathers on the backs of their necks (girls & boys)
I think Larry & curly will be much much happier when I can get them some girls (I am working on that desperately)

My large black cochin rooster just turned 21 weeks and just started crowing. I have another one the same age and he has shown no interest in crowing. I have a 1 year old black one that crows occasionally and then I have a 1 year old blue one that crows all day and night, when ever he can. Never shuts up, lol. Cochins are very slow to mature and lay eggs. It takes alot out of them to grow all those feathers. I feed them a higher protein food.

I have a 4 cochin roos. 1 black and 3 blue. My black one got a super red comb and started crowing at 4.5 weeks. The others have lighter red combs and do not crow yet and they are 13 weeks old.

mine must be early bloomers.....or just crazy.
Our Buff cochin rooster Nikki Roo crows constantlyand started about 20 weeks i think. His little counterpart Pretty Girl started laying about 4 weeks ago and we get about an egg every other day from her.....just wish she would lay in the boxes....or really anyplace besides the garage floor! LOL
Both of them roost and are up as high as the rest of the flock, I just worry when they hit the floor in the morning , the whole coop shakes!
I only have the 2 cochins but they are 2 of my faves!

Are there really "giant cochins"? or arent they just Large Fowl?

NikkiRoo.jpg

Glad to read all this as I was wondering why my blu Cochin roo had not crowed yet. He is 4-5 mos. old. I was thinking the lady sold me a hen but his feathers definitely look like a roo's. Someone just gave me a 1 yr. "large" blu Cochin roo. and I added him to the flock, so now there are 2 guys. They never fight, even roost together in the hen house....strange, huh?! I'm thinking the older roo. doesn't know the young one is a roo. yet but when he starts crowing maybe it will change. Sounds like Cochins get along pretty well though. Maybe when he's 6 mos. he'll crow?? Girls all chase him so he NEVER tries to mess with the girls.

Back
Top Bottom