Question on cedar wood !!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by swtangel321, May 7, 2009.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    So I moved and had to take down our huge chicken coop [​IMG] Got rid of all my 50+ chickens. Well I talked DH and DM (darling mother) into letting me keep a few silkies intill we get a house. So I got a small hutch intill the big coop can be put up again and after DH put it together noticed it was made of cedar wood, I know cedar shavings are not good for chickens/chicks but is it ok that the hutch wood is ??

Thanks for the help !!
  2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Building a coop out of cedar will not hurt, its only the shavings that create problems..
  3. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Quote:Cedar lumber will not off gas enough to hurt the birds. The shavings are a problem because of the huge surface area of each sliver of wood. All that surface area releases a ton of gas in a short time span. The lumber itself is tiny in comparison. You won't have to worry about it.
  4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Thanks both of you [​IMG]

I feel so much better now !!! This little coop/hutch thing is not my thing but guess its good for now. Its hard going for a HUGE coop to a hutch, LOL!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by