question on colors in silkies?

I guessed it must have been late at night for you.
wink.png

will i get stomped for jumping in here with a sizzle ? lol....

i want to get a silkie to breed to my frazzle.. she's black.. should i stick with the black?? or what would i get if i could get a lavender roo for her... would the black win out regardless???

Lavender being recessive would not show on the first cross. But if you cross the frizzle offspring back to the lavender silkie you will get 1 in 2 lavender; 1 in 2 silkie feathered & 1 in 2 frizzle so that would be 1 in 8 lavender frizzle with silkie feathering.
big_smile.png
But of course chickens don't care much for probability.
tongue.png

Quote:
do you think it would be worth it?? or would people be more interested in knowing the color they see is the only color in there?? but with lavender being recessive it probly wouldn't show up again unless another lav was brought into the breeding??
i took biology in high school, and i loved the section about the genes, and the little charts, but i forgot a lot of the little details...

i bet a lavender sizzle would be fun... hhmmmmm
lavender silkie or MF Cochin... hhmmmm dang it.....
i need more chicken condos....

do you think it would be worth it?? or would people be more interested in knowing the color they see is the only color in there?? but with lavender being recessive it probably wouldn't show up again unless another lav was brought into the breeding??

I'm not sure what you mean. The first cross between a lavender silkie & your black frazzle would be all black non silkie feathered. They may or may not be saleable, I don't know. However if you breed those back to the lavender silkie you'd get 1 in 2 of the birds would be lavender & the other half would carry lavender; lavender is popular right now.​

i would just want to make sure that if someone got one that was black but had the recessive lavender gene that they understood it was in there...

i might just do this.. i like the lavender colored birds.. but didn't know which breed to go with to get it.. maybe i'll just do the silkies... get a lavender pair and add the frazzle to their pen... happy little trio... hopefully... lol... then go from there once those babies are old enough to breed... my sis in law wants to start with some frizzles too so it might be fun to have her help me with it.. lol...

don't mind me.. i'm typing to myself again... lol...

In creating porcelain one must play on the columbian gene the resides in a buff silkie. A porcelain when you are looking at the are showing columbian traits. Buffs carry genes you would think they carry to make them buff. Thats why so many people have trouble making them clear. Their base is: Wheaten, champagne, dark brown, columbian and a dose of dilute. Also don't throw a wrench in your program with a lavender carrying Pg. Make sure they are not carriers.In recreating this color people had misconceptions of silkie white believing they where dominate. Infact they are recessive and carriers of Pg. Good for grey and partridge though. And they are out there. If you want to do it right start from scratch making your own lavender then go for your porcelain. If interested in seeing porcelain go to my sight www.pompadoursilkies.com under the varieties page go to dilutes and in the top right corner will be my porcelain PLEASE NOTE she photograph in a way that the buff/ rose color isn't picked up byt the camera or PM me and I'll send other photos of her so you can see the difference .

Also don't throw a wrench in your program with a lavender carrying Pg.

Are buff silkies wheaten (eWh)? I had thought they might be eb.
Pg on its own wouldn't cause much of a problem. Pg is not only carried by black based birds, it is sometimes found in buffs too. Particularly on a eWh bird, it wouldn't really show if Co & Db are homozygous, & melanisers aren't present.

From the F2 stage onwards one would need to go by selection. With so many genes being in buff there would be quite a few different phenotypes occurring. Not sure how well they show in silkies. With selection & culling it ought to only take a few years; I've done similar projects in Orpingtons.

I suppose much depends upon how far towards the isobel silkie one wants to go. The so called "porcelains" appear to be more of an intermediate stage. This ought to be a good bit easier to get to than the true isobel silkie.​

yes I believe it s eWh. and they do have the dark brown gene. Pg is is carried in partridge. and your not wanting to double up on that because of the barring it can create. lavenders are being bred for clarity and lack of partridge do to some breedings including recessive whites. for porcelain silkies they to should have clarity. Why pull in partridge when you when your really searching for a bird that resembles a diluted buff columbian. I hope I didn't miss the point. let me know.
And yes I agree on the % of lavender to porcelain ration dead on w/ a punnet sq and in my own breedings.
on the other hand anyone wanting a good break down on porcelain/lavender go to henks site. www.kippenjungle.nl for the calculator

Back
Top Bottom