Question on dead chick, picture included

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
woke up early this AM to nearly a complete hatch, two eggs left, one had started to zip , an hour later it had made no progress so I decided to watch it. Decided to give it another 30 min and if no progress then I would help, seems I waited to long :( Another chick was in the process of hatching so I didnt want to open the bator but when I saw this one wasnt moving I took it out and sadly was to late..
I have hatched for years and have seen chicks start to hatch and then quit but have never seen these bubbles?
Thoughts?
79003222_3192048190812322_8751480866191966208_o.jpg

Too wet in the incubator would be my guess. When I was starting out with a foam Little Giant incubator I drowned a lot of chicks because the humidity gauges in them don't work. I trusted the machine too much and needed other thermometer/ hygrometers to really keep in them for accuracy.

These were shipped eggs so could that explain the fluid?? between my two hydrometers humidity hovered between 64-71 during the last two days. none of the other eggs had an issue..

Thanks for the information, I'll know what to look for with the next batch I do!

I dry incubate so it hovered between 19 and 26
And I hatched them all upright in an egg carton, I knew laying them down, especially the ones with saddled air cells could cause them to drown, this was one thats air cell looked pretty good and I didnt worry as much about it, now looking back and knowing it drowned it didnt lose enough moisture.. I had marked the ones with extreme dips and those although gave me the most concern were the first ones to hatch.. I will be ordering one more batch from this seller, to start by the end of next week.. All in all I think the rate was pretty good but am so sad I could have helped this one sooner!

And I hatched them all upright in an egg carton, I knew laying them down, especially the ones with saddled air cells could cause them to drown, this was one thats air cell looked pretty good and I didnt worry as much about it, now looking back and knowing it drowned it didnt lose enough moisture.. I had marked the ones with extreme dips and those although gave me the most concern were the first ones to hatch.. I will be ordering one more batch from this seller, to start by the end of next week.. All in all I think the rate was pretty good but am so sad I could have helped this one sooner!
@WVduckchick has lots of experience with shipped egg hatching. She definitely can help you the next incubation..

Back
Top Bottom