Question on dead chick, picture included

AmericanMom

Songster
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
woke up early this AM to nearly a complete hatch, two eggs left, one had started to zip , an hour later it had made no progress so I decided to watch it. Decided to give it another 30 min and if no progress then I would help, seems I waited to long :( Another chick was in the process of hatching so I didnt want to open the bator but when I saw this one wasnt moving I took it out and sadly was to late..
I have hatched for years and have seen chicks start to hatch and then quit but have never seen these bubbles?
Thoughts?
79003222_3192048190812322_8751480866191966208_o.jpg

BirdsBeesTrees

Here Chicky, Chicky, Chicky!
Premium member
Mar 10, 2019
Iowa
Too wet in the incubator would be my guess. When I was starting out with a foam Little Giant incubator I drowned a lot of chicks because the humidity gauges in them don't work. I trusted the machine too much and needed other thermometer/ hygrometers to really keep in them for accuracy.

AmericanMom

Songster
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
These were shipped eggs so could that explain the fluid?? between my two hydrometers humidity hovered between 64-71 during the last two days. none of the other eggs had an issue..

Thanks for the information, I'll know what to look for with the next batch I do!

AmericanMom

Songster
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
I dry incubate so it hovered between 19 and 26
And I hatched them all upright in an egg carton, I knew laying them down, especially the ones with saddled air cells could cause them to drown, this was one thats air cell looked pretty good and I didnt worry as much about it, now looking back and knowing it drowned it didnt lose enough moisture.. I had marked the ones with extreme dips and those although gave me the most concern were the first ones to hatch.. I will be ordering one more batch from this seller, to start by the end of next week.. All in all I think the rate was pretty good but am so sad I could have helped this one sooner!

chickens really

Crazy Call Duck Momma
Premium member
Sep 8, 2015
The Funny Farm....Alberta, Canada
And I hatched them all upright in an egg carton, I knew laying them down, especially the ones with saddled air cells could cause them to drown, this was one thats air cell looked pretty good and I didnt worry as much about it, now looking back and knowing it drowned it didnt lose enough moisture.. I had marked the ones with extreme dips and those although gave me the most concern were the first ones to hatch.. I will be ordering one more batch from this seller, to start by the end of next week.. All in all I think the rate was pretty good but am so sad I could have helped this one sooner!
@WVduckchick has lots of experience with shipped egg hatching. She definitely can help you the next incubation..

Latest posts

Top Bottom