Question on Free Ranging my Chickens

MontyK

Hatching
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Pleasant Plains, Illinois
I just started my chicken venture with 11 different breeds totaling 35 chicks. My question is, when they get big enough to let out into the yard how far will they travel? I have a 2 acre back yard in the country but my neighbors that live next door to me have a mean dog. I'm concerned about letting them out because I don't know how far they will wonder. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I used to let my chickens free range on about 4 acres and they went over into the neighbour's property as well, though they had 4 lovely pastures to roam on and the neighbour's patch was bare. Curiosity? I don't know, but we had to do some some serious fence repairs in order to keep them on our farm. And that fence was a good 60 yards from their coop too. If you are concerned about your neighbour's dog I'd suggest you make sure you have a secure fence between it and your chickens when they start free ranging.

I strongly recommend that you consider fencing off your property with an electric fence or tall fence, at least on the 2 sides adjacent to the "mean dog" neighbors or it could end horribly bad for your chickens.

With that many birds, having them penned is a full time job in the sanitation department.

What Sumi said is true. They often will wander everywhere BUT your property. Case in point, a fellow chicken owner here where I live lets her wander her yard, but instead they head down to the village and root about in all the village yards.

We have over eight acres, but our hens would head over to the neighbor's house when they had the opportunity. Now we have a lovely fence.

In this case, with dogs next door, you REALLY need a fence. And remember, that fence doesn't just keep chickens in--it also helps keep dogs out. It will provide some protection should the neighbor's dogs come over onto your property--and they probably will, once they figure out there is prey there. Good fences make good neighbors, and this is doubly true when the neighbors are chickens and dogs.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The neighbors dog is on invisible fence and never leaves it. However, all 3 replies state that using a fence is the best way to solve my dilemma so that's what I'm going to do. How tall should my fence be.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The neighbors dog is on invisible fence and never leaves it. However, all 3 replies state that using a fence is the best way to solve my dilemma so that's what I'm going to do. How tall should my fence be.
Depends on whether you want to clip wings or not. You can do 4' with clipped wings, or 6' without. Although if there is anything for them to stand on and get height before they fly, they will fly over a 6' fence, too.

It might be too much for the dog to resist and he'll learn to charge across the invisible fence line. I'd be much more worried about that than the chickens having a death wish. If the dog is barking and acting all agressive they'll stay away.

If you do fence, don't put a cap on it. A visual top they can land on is way more inviting than just the thin wire they'd have to vault. Also, fence before you set them free. If they get used to going somewhere they'll work harder to overcome the fence.

Also as the one fellow already noted, if there's a tree or anything close to the fence they can use as a step ladder, they'll use it.

My house has about 5 acres surrounding it. I let my hens free range while I'm at home, but put them in their coop while I'm gone. They have only once ventured into the neighbor's yard? Sorta what sumi said-- Curiosity?? They just eventually ventured into the neighbor's yard... Hopefully they didn't dig up their garden! Anyways, your chickens should stick around once they know what is home, but since you only have 2 acres, fencing would be a good idea.

fencing is a excellent idea
to keep them safe from that dog.I'd make it strong enough he can't get through because better safe than sorry and dogs do kill chickens. also make certain he can't dig under the fence or jump over for your birds own safety!! best wishes

fencing is a excellent idea
to keep them safe from that dog.I'd make it strong enough he can't get through because better safe than sorry and dogs do kill chickens. also make certain he can't dig under the fence or jump over for your birds own safety!! best wishes
x2!!!
goodpost.gif
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom