Question on Humidity in Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suzieq, Mar 7, 2009.

1. suzieq

suzieq Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am hatching 28 eggs in my Hovabator 1605 N with the fan upgrade.
    I have read here that humidity for the first 1-18 days should be between 40-50 and the from day 18 on 60-75%.

I was unable to find a calibrated humidity meter but am going to lowes today. I just have a gauge type in there now. The guy at the hardware says it runs 5 degrees off each way.

It is day three for me and the humidity is high 65 % . Is this detrimental. I can't take water out obviously but will not add any more until it is much lower.

I am very excited about this and can't stop looking in there. Just want to make sure I haven't hurt them.

Susan

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    the humitdy is inportant as temp. you can do a search on how to calbrate a humidty guage, and do it to see how far the guage is off

3. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey: I've got the same bator and you should try to keep the humidity lower. The first day they get settled in, but I found you should try to hit the recommendations on the nose. I found that the only reliable system for humidity is a wet bulb thermometer.. I bought 3 different hygrometers and got 3 different readings.

I found that the best was the basement for the bator with no water added (basements are generally damp to start with).

here's a site with a download from The U of Virginia that spells things out www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/poultry/factsheets/8.html

you are better with the humidity too low than too high (the embryos drown). good luck

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    yeah, open your vents & let it dry up completely; do not refill the water pan until the last 3 days -- run it dry --this will allow the chicks to make up for the high humidity these first few days. They need to lose 11-16 % of the egg's weight & they are very forgiving of high humidity for a few days if given a chance.

I weigh my eggs when I put them in and then at 7 days. I either add more water or run it dry depending on how much weight they've lost. I also keep an eye on the size of the air sac.

5. suzieq

suzieq Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thank you for your input...this has helped/

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by