Question on small space tub vs. putting outisde too early

Quote:
It does have an enclosed nesting box, but my construction skills aren't as good as I've seen others, and I'm sure there will be ~some~ draft blowing through. (Although, like I said, temps are getting [relativly] warmer. It was almost 50º at 6:30 this morning...)

Here's a picture of the tractor under construction.
22639_tractor.jpg

I think for now I'll look for another inside box for a week or two...

Marty

Quote:
We are going to get some styrofoam insulating panels and then cover with boards. The roof is actually a screen so when we redo it it will allow for "breathing". The whole set up has an indoor section and an outdoor section - like a mini chicken coop on really tall legs!

I'm not terribly worried about the warming. In another month we are moving north to PA and the bigger chicks will be rehoused and by then my younger chicks and the hatching eggs I have now will be ready for the brooder. It's musical coops here!!

And, I realized no matter what, we would need to make these modifications since we are going way north where it's really cold in winter! This way I'll be all set for next winter.

My chicks are outgrowing their brooder too...so I've started letting them go outside for a few hours during the day. Our nights are still chilly, but daytime temps are in the 60's, and maybe even 70 today. As long as they get some play time and entertainment outside for a while, then the smaller brooder won't be that big of a problem.

Can you temporarily cover the sides of the tractor? With plastic, tarp, or even pieces of plywood? That would reduce the draft but still let them have the extra room. You can uncover the sides again when it's warmer.

Marty, I think that's a good idea to look for another box. I think you'd have to spend more time to rework your tractor, than it would take to just put them in a bigger box. This way will save you time, trouble and worry. You can spend more time watching them and playing with them, instead!
big_smile.png

Wow, scbatz33, you're going to be busy!

Quote:
I can't help myself. I should have waited to let my inner broody out - like after we moved...but c'est la vie!

I'm more worried about moving the actual coops than the birds. I could leave them behind, but we got them for nothing and it seems a shame to put the money into tweeking something just to have to replace it.

This "brooder" is perfect for the barn where we are moving. It is even on wheels so it can be moved to clean under. Besides, with 16 month olds and 30 eggs in the incubator, we really need a big one!

Quote:
Yeah, I've got my wife looking around stores this morning. We'll get something figured out. Thanks for all the help and advice!

Marty

here's my converted in-barn to out-door brooder. Everyone survived the night. I have put a thermometer in there to keep track of temp. It is staying about 35 degrees warmer inside than out. The polish babies really like the perch. It is twice the size inside as the converted rabbit cage they were in. I did separate out the younger orps who hadn't feathered out yet. We added the styrofoam panels for insulation and put a roof and tarp over that to help with wind and rain.
21675_dscn0566.jpg

21675_dscn0572.jpg

21675_dscn0571.jpg

Strike one, Strike two...

I put an ad in "FreeCycle" asking for a box. No go. Someone said look at the local furniture place. I stopped today after work and they said check in the morning. Wife checked the local grocery stores this morning and was too late too...

Guess my ladies will have to stay close for one more night.

Marty
Cold and raining in Salt Lake

Just start driving around allys and behind department stores. I did some work for 3 months next to an ally shared by a Rent-2-Own. They always had lots of cardboard. Collectors would be there everyday filling the back of an old Chevy. Plus, find a plumbing supply house. Usually they have someone that is just dumping the cardboard from a new waterheater.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom