Question re Dirt floor Inside Coop

Billpk1

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
The shed I am converting into a coop currently has a dirt floor. My plan was to put a plywood floor in there. I am wondering if this is necessary or can I simply keep the dirt floor?

Thanks a lot,
Bill

I have a dirt floor. Actually, it started as grass, but the girls ate all of that. If you get a lot of rain it might be a mud problem, but here it doesn't rain much. Also, my birds aren't sparkly clean like some others on here, but it suits us fine. The dirt floor is also pretty easy to clean, I just take a rake and shovel and clean it out.

Quote:
Is there dirt only on your run or inside your coop as well?

I plan to use sand for the run once they devour the grass, but am torn between leaving the coop with the dirt floor or going with the floor. Every dollar saved counts at this stage.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I agree with you as far as it being easy to clean. I have a dirt floor in my shed and it is great! It never gets wet inside for some reason when it rains. I have no idea why. My girls love it. Mine aren't as sparkly clean either but it suits us fine as well. I do the same as you with the rake and shovel. If I had to do it all over again, I would still have the dirt floor. I would not change it up for any other type of floor. But that's just me. I vote for dirt floors!
ya.gif

Both. My coop is a homemade converted tractor that I just put on the grass. Once the grass was gone, the floor of the coop was just dirt. It works just fine for me. I am sure others would disagree, but I haven't had a problem yet.

Quote:
Is there dirt only on your run or inside your coop as well?

I plan to use sand for the run once they devour the grass, but am torn between leaving the coop with the dirt floor or going with the floor. Every dollar saved counts at this stage.
big_smile.png

I know that your question was for UGAchick but I would like to chime in if I could. Dirt is in my run and inside the coop. I have dirt, dirt, dirt EVERYWHERE. Dirt is the way to go.

I too have a dirt floor in my coop and so far I have not minded. Earlier this summer we had heavy rains for several weeks and all that even got damp was one corner. I rake and replace bedding once a week and I keep it pretty deep in there. My run is dirt too. I have provided them shade in there and they really use it.....it is an old fiberglass satillite dish that was laying back in the woods. We have it proped up against the fence. The lip of the dish also provides an extra water station for them when it rains, or if it does not at least once I day I spray water over the top so the lip fills. They seem to enjoy a place out of the sun to dust bath and sit in the shade.

I am lucky in that there is a slight breeze through there all the time. I think it keeps everything aired out nicely.

I am still amazed at how fast responses come in on this forum. It is something else!
smile.png

I don't think I will have much of a problem with water once I install the gutter on the eve. I can always put in the wooden floor later if I run into problems.

Would you recommend installing a hardware cloth apron covering the dirt floor or would it be better to simply put an apron around the proximity of my shed.

I cannot bury the hardware cloth due to large rocks and roots around the shed.

Back
Top Bottom