Question... the good ol' pen!

Livlif2itsfulest

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 4, 2010
Ashland
I understand the duck pens and I know how messy ducks are but I need recommendations for the floor of my outdoor pen do I have compact dirt or pea gravel? That is the only two I have heard of but if there are other suggestions please let me know thanks so much!

Last edited:
what do you mean by compact dirt? I have compact dirt, called Georgia clay ,under my pond rock 1-2" diameter round rock.When it rains, the compact dirt becomes mud!I like the larger rock, because when you hose it , it doesn't wash away.
jumpy.gif

Mine is probably 4X8 and 6 feet tall. I am going to let them roam the yard during the day so its pretty much just shelter from the weather and somewhere safe to sleep at night. I used ceder shavings that I bought at Walmart. It may be a bad idea but its what I used in their bruder and they love to chew on it and play in it. I have pics on my page if you'd like to see for yourself. I am new at this though so I may be way off! good luck!

My duck pen is pea gravel. It was the little dog yard before the back 4+ acres were fenced in for the dogs. Works well for the ducks when they are in there (though they don't spend so much time in there now... food/water dish/snacks/big pool, but they don't really just camp out there like they used to. They spend way more time out in the yard now.

But hosing down pea gravel is pretty nice.

Just looked at your pen. I'd totally pea gravel that! At least for the ducks. Not sure about chickens. I know nothing about chickens.

Last edited:
Mine are housed at night in a 10x10 chain link dog kennel. It sits on concrete paver stones. I got them both on craiglist - cheap! had to drive 2 hours but well worth it. The paver stones are great - no mud - easy to spray off daily with a hose, but I quickly found that I had to buy some tight woven out door carpet (1.49 square ft from our hardware store). I bought 25 feet and cut to lay over the most used places, to protect innocent ducky feet from evil concrete!!

56653_img_1214.jpg

56653_img_1705.jpg

I have a 14' x 8' concrete floor and straw on top, though I think I will put something under the straw (stall dry maybe?) as it seems to have been alright for just 3-4 ducks, but seems to be messier now there are 11 there.

Back
Top Bottom