question!

texasfinest

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
texas
So a few days ago my flock was attacked by something and I unfortunately lost them all...or so I thought! We were unable to find one of my girls...well this morning I found her roosting on a stick in some tall grass in the back of the property... Well after loosing them all I bought 10 more chicks to replace the 7 I had lost...my older girl is 7 weeks old...can I put her with my new chicks in the brooder? I feel bad for her all alone in the coop but I'm not ready to move my chicks in there yet seeing as how they aren't even a week old yet? What should I do?

Yea that would be fine to keep her with them if she doesn't peck them, you may want to have a spot that she can roost in though. And I'm not sure if the heat from the brooder would bother her. Good Luck

I had success putting a 5 week old EE (she was alone due to a dog attack) with a couple 5 day old EE chicks, I just watched her behavior closely. She was sweet to them, did very little pecking and did not have food aggression. This was in the winter and the lamp was a bit of a challenge so i directed the heat lamp to a concentrated spot of the brooder (which was a large dog Kennel) and I did give her a stick to roost on. This way if the little chicks were cold they could cuddle under the heat and my older chick would not be effected. Some days I turned the lamp off during the day and the little chicks would just cuddle up to my big chick. But as you know, every chicken has their own personality, so best of luck to you.

She did great! Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom