Questionable breed from hatchery: Barred Rock with yellow faces?

Clov3r

In the Brooder
May 11, 2016
Palo Pinto County, Texas
Hi there!

The local Tractor Supply had some BR chicks available in straight run. I'm looking to round out my hens at 30, so I grabbed some. My mistake not getting a better look at them in advance.

Noticed once I got them home that about half of them look like standard BR chicks, and the other half have yellow faces with the little stripes next to the eyes. Does that ever happen in BR chicks? I've never seen it before. If not, what the heck am I looking at? They're still mostly black otherwise, with white spots on the heads. Their tiny little wing feathers seem to have some brown fleck dusting to them, now that they're growing out a little.

I asked the Tractor Supply if they had them in with any other breeds, of course they said no. And "you never know with that hatchery", which was reassuring... /s.

Last edited:
I thought about that too, but came to the same conclusions with no green on the legs at all.

Do you remember if the chicks came originally from Ideal?
Because right now they seem to have an overabundance of SLWs. My feedstore is getting them in almost every weak and I got. I think, four of them in an order of 15 Assorted Pullets.

Do you remember if the chicks came originally from Ideal?
Because right now they seem to have an overabundance of SLWs. My feedstore is getting them in almost every weak and I got. I think, four of them in an order of 15 Assorted Pullets.

The particular staff members I spoke to didn't seem to know much, unfortunately... I'm not sure what the original hatchery was.

The particular staff members I spoke to didn't seem to know much, unfortunately... I'm not sure what the original hatchery was.
Do you remember if there happened to by any Cuckoo Marans nearby?
That does look an awful lot like my little Cuckoo Maran chick named Nova.

The only thing with the SLW possibility is that they're not very marbled in the face area. It's just yellow with the uniform eye stripe. Some have more and less yellow. I got 11 chicks, 5 have these markings. I've only ever had 1 batch of SLW's, so that's what I have for comparison, haha.

This is interesting. I hope some of the other genetics types show up and chime in.

It looks like a barred chick to me, with the head spot and the feathering coming in on the wings. But, the light color overall......that's weird. Doesn't look like the chick is extended black, which a barred Rock or cuckoo Marans would be.

Keep us posted as it feathers out?

Back
Top Bottom